Tolexing a cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Feb 4, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    A few qestions on this matter...
    1. Will this void my warranty with ampeg?
    2. Where could I get this done?
    3. Is it even worth it?
    Thanks and God bless! -Brad
  2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I don't know.
    I don't know.
    No. Carpet them.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I don't think the cab driver would be very happy about that.
  4. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    haha, took me a few moments to get that.
  5. carpet is a lot more sturdy than tolex, which rips easily.
  6. I agree. Most of the other vinyls aren't all that great either. Carpet is easier to apply and even beginners can get better decent results.
    But since you mentioned that your stuff is under warranty, I'm thinking it might already have carpet on it. Are you just looking for a change, or do you already have problems with the covering?
    And YES, I think you would be voiding your warranty. You would be making modifications to the cabinet.

7. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    It already has tolex on it, but I saw some custom white Ampeg 8x10s and I thought they looked awesome, so if I could find some place to do that to my SVT 410 HLF, I would get it done. This is not somthing I would really want to tackle myself.
  8. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i dont know why cabinet makers use tolex,that stuff is the worse,i purchased a new Peavey 4x10 cab. and the very first gig i used it on i put nicks in the tolex. carpet is the way to above posts,i recommend carpet..
    the warrenty thing ? you should email/call ampeg..good-luck.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Get it sprayed with the stuff they use for pickup truck bedliners. That sh!t is durable, and available in different colors.