Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom Araya's Gear Setup...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hellrazor213, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I was hoping someone here would know what gear Tom Araya uses in the studio and at live performances, from his stacks to his strings...and if you know of a website that lists these things, please type it below...thanks guys...

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    He uses Ampeg, ESP, and he use to use D'Addario not sure anymore.

3. He used to play B.C. Rich's, but not anymore.

He has his signature ESP line, and he uses Ampeg stuff.

4. any clue on the effects?

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I doubt if he uses any. Compressor if anything.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    There was an article on his setup in one of the magazines a couple of years ago... Guitar World's Bass Guitar (???) I think. I'm sure I have a copy at home that I should be able to dig out tonight, if nobody has done so already.

7. I think he uses some kind of fuzz.

8. yeah, I can hear the fuzz...hopefully dlloyd can find that article...

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yup I found it. It was in the May 2002 Bass Player and is unfortunately not in their archive site. So I'll summarise.

This is his live setup.

ESP TA-500 and F-204 basses with EMGs and D'Addario strings, D'Andrea heavy picks.

The following tunings:
    D#G#C#F# (standard tuning down 1/2 step) .055" to .110"
    C#F#BE (standard down three half steps/minor third) .055" to .110"
    BF#BE (drop D down three half steps/minor third) .055" to .110"
    A#D#G#C# (standard tuning down six half steps/tritone) .065" to .130"

Nady 950GS wireless
    dbx 160A compressor
    two Ampeg SVT-4 Pro heads
    two Ampeg 8x10"s
    two Ampeg SVT-2 as spares
    Juice Goose rack power 200
    Whirlwind A/B selector + cable in case of wireless failure

Signal is miked and DI'ed to PA

That was nearly three years ago, but I can't see any real reason he'd go for anything else.

10. So maybe he used the fuzz only in the studio...

11. thanks dlloyd...the fuzz must be just studio then, but I dont see why he wouldnt use it live as well...

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because he had two Ampeg heads cranked?

Roadstar likes this.
  13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Or it could be from the Ampegs ;)

Ray

14. thats true, I bet they do give out some pretty good fuzz...lol...

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Being the SLAYER fan I am, I'm almost certain that it is the Ampegs. I saw them live twice, and I'd be willing to bet that's what it came from, though I'm not sure. It just had that "Ampeg" overdrive ring to it.

Ray

16. im a slayer fan as well...Ive been trying to get that sound for awhile now...looks like its gonna cost me a couple grand if i want it...I guess I will just be using the fuzz setting on my Digitech Bass Driver for now...

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I knew someone that worked for their management on the Seasons in the Abyss tour and watched from the wings for the whole west coast leg of the tour and I saw no signs of pedals in Tom's rig. It was bare bones with a rack of heads. I have been bloodied and beaten in over 50 Slayer shows, you can't really tell how his rig sounds live when your in the pit! *Giggles* Real Slayer Fan. The best show ever was the Olympic Auditorium 86 (I believe) Reign in Blood tour. I broke my nose, and a finger. The whole floor was a pit. :hyper:

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Also know that even buying every piece of gear he has, wont get you his tone. A lot of it is how it's recorded as well as his style. I suggest you find your own tone, and on top of that, if you're cool with getting "close enough" to his tone, buy a similiar bass (wood/electronics wise) [not even neccessary] and just tweak your current amp to something that's suitable.

Ray

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, one show I was in the pit, the other I was about mid way back. I don't remember much of the first show, as it was loud, and I had beer all over me from the dude behind me who spilled THREE on me. The 2nd show though, I could focus on T.A.s tone though. :D

Ray
    Edit: dude, when ya gonna GIVE me one of your not-used-as-often-as-the-others Spectors? :D

20. i havent been to a live concert of there's yet, but when I do, I know that the only thing I will be able to do is just stare in amazement...no banging my head, no moshing in the pit...just standing there eyes wide open trying to remember every single moment...