1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tom Clancy Dead at 66

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Lame. I played those games all the time. I still have Ghost Recon installed on a PC. "Welcome to Tbilisi gentlemen....."

-Mike

3. Oh no! Who killed him? The Russians? It was the Russians, wasn't it?
    (JK)

When my girlfriend dumped me back in 1989, I needed something to occupy my mind, and Red Storm Rising was the perfect thing. Just a fun, engrossing book to escape into for a while. I got so into it that when I turned on the TV news at night, for a second I'd expect to hear news about the war

That one and The Hunt for Red October were great, but his novels got kind of repetitive after those two (IMHO).

RIP Tom.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    For some reason I thought he was older than 66.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I did as well.

6. I've read many of his books - very well written.

Sorry to hear this - 66 is too early. R.I.P.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Last year a friend of mine insisted I read Rainbow Six.

Not a huge fan of the genre, but I enjoyed Hunt for Red October which was the only title of his I'd read prior to six

Six was an interesting read from a CQB tech aspect or a peek into the mind of those who dedicate themselves to the protection of others with no expectation of public reward or accolade. After red October though, I found the plot of six to be very thin for someone who dreamed up something as dense and complicated as a warrior hardened by a lifetime of stellar service, a revered hero to everyone whose life he had touched, doing an ideological 180 over the death of his wife to the point of turning over a weapon so advanced, as game changing as the original fat man and little boy. It was as much an insightful study of humanity as it was a military techno-thriller.

It also made for a corker of a movie as did Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and Sum of All Fears.

Either way, he was apparently a heck of a writer if sales are any indication of skill.

RIP and Godspeed Mr. Clancy, I know a lot of people will genuinely miss the anticipation of your next work.

8. I am absolutely shocked. I've loved his books since I was young, and the resonate with me greatly after my military service. The world has lost a great storyteller :( .

Peace,
    Greg