1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Tom Clement Basses #170: 5 String Fretless EADGC Tuning

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by johndough247, May 15, 2016.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    A beauty in looks, feel and sound, this VERY LIGHT single-cut 5 string by Tom Clement was a great addition to my stable...unfortunately, my fretless itch comes and goes; these days it's not seeing as much action as it should so I'd rather allocate funds elsewhere. It was converted to EADGC tuning by its previous owner, however the nut was cut too high for comfortable playing in the first few frets so I pulled out the old nut files and now it plays beautifully. Here's the quick specs:

5 string EADGC tuning
    34" scale, 24 fret
    1-7/8" nut width
    18mm string spacing (will include original 19mm bridge as well)
    Swamp Ash Body
    Maple neck with Bloodwood Lined Fretless fingerboard
    Nordstrand Dual Coil Pickup
    Passive volume and tone controls
    Currently strung with Rotosound TruBass 88 Black Nylon flats
    just under 8 lbs

Don't have a proper scale for precise weight, but my Sadowsky NYC 5 string was weighed at 8.15 lbs and as light as that bass is, this bass feels lighter so it's shockingly light for a singlecut 5. Price is $1200 $1100 shipped to CONUS but will also do international shipping if you cover some of it. Paypal only. NO TRADES.

UPDATE: This bass was originally 19mm spacing, but I bought a matching 18mm bridge which is on the bass now. I will include both bridges at no additional cost.

IMG_5746.
    Photo%20Mar%2006%2C%204%2025%2036%20PM.
    Photo%20Mar%2006%2C%204%2026%2006%20PM.
    Photo%20Mar%2006%2C%204%2026%2028%20PM.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Nice bass, great guy to deal with!
    I really like the bass in your avatar.. Wish I had one...oh wait! :D

3. Haha thanks buddy...hope it's still treating you well!

4. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Yeah, it's treating me well, my favorite bass! I've moved to all sub 32" scale basses now as a result.

5. Awesome...I think 31" was a hair too short for me, I'll probably do 32.5" if there is a next time. Finding a light 6 string is tough.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Finding a light 6 is easy. :O) good luck with the sale.

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    any pix without the midi pickup? Is that pickup just stuck on with double sided tape? Any clips?

8. yep it's only double sided tape and sorry I don't have any clips of it currently. I'll take off the pickup and upload pics a little later

9. here you go, that "just got outta bed" look :D :

IMG_5746.

10. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    any clips? Looking for something that can do the willis/jaco thing...

11. I'll try to record something to soundcloud but I have to leave the house now so it might not be until tomorrow.

12. As an aside, I was looking at a video on YouTube, tryin to compare American and Korean versions of the Jazz 24 QMT. One video had a guy playin the Fender, and this exact bass, in comparison. I didn't keep the link, but seach videos comparing Fender and Clement, and this bass should appear. It does the Willis/Jaco thing well. Nice bass. If I were in the market...

13. I think this is it...

14. Thanks buddy! That is indeed my bass and yes it sounds just like that...had a really busy weekend so haven't gotten a chance to record as promised, but this clip does the bass justice...thanks to Kwesi too :bassist:

The Nameless likes this.
  15. Price drop to $1200

16. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Cool bass. What's the neck profile like?

17. Hmm, good question, as I've never stopped to analyze a bass' neck profile.

From about the 6th - 24th fret there's a flat area in the middle but it's not a thick neck at all (in terms of being deep from fretboard to back) so I'd say probably a D-shape in that area...however up in the 1st to 6th fret it feels asymmetrical: thinner under the smaller strings and thicker by the bigger strings...so I'm guessing it's a compound profile? It feels nice so I've had no cause to question it.

18. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the info!

19. Bump, still available

20. OK gonna put this up on eBay soon...dropping price to $1150 shipped for this week only, then it's off to the bay...