Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom Cruise and Oprah...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    We should get those two into one of those live "celebrity wrestling matches"... :D

2. If you haven't heard, Forbes magazine named Oprah the most powerful celebrity in the world (again) ahead of...(ahem)...Tom Cruise!!

I almost gagged when she had him on her show recently - the mutual ego stroking was sickening.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *stroke stroke stroke*

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'll admit I "watch" Oprah from time to time. I come home and collapse on the couch and the TV is usually on and we only have one channel. She does have some really great stories from time to time, and she helps a lot of people out. But aside from the women in the audience emitting some of the worst noises ever, she has shows sometimes that are complete garbage. See the Tom Cruise one.

It pissed me off because his "being overpowered by love" seemed like the worst acting I've ever seen. He was so restrained and he really seemed like he was pretending when he said he loved... whatsherface/fiance chick.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Cruise is a Hollywood Scientologist nutjob goof. Find out the
    truth about Scientology cult freaks here:

www.xenu.net

Slug

6. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Then I would walk up to Tom with a power squirt gun and spray him heavily so I can hear him say "You're a jerk!" just one more time.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Tom seems to be a Scientologist these days. I'm not sure about Oprah, does anyone know whether she's involved in that?

8. This should prolly be moved to the Lounge, but I have a loathing distrust of scientology. In our town, they try to "recruit" you with "free personality tests".

I took up the offer one day and absolutely nailed the guy giving me my test. By the end of it, he wanted me outta there more than he wanted me to become a scientologist :D

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I grant that often Oprah has some pretty dull/stupid stuff on sometimes. However, i think generally, she is a positive voice, one of the very few in television land, that makes a difference in peoples' lives.

However, I removed myself from the "matrix" of tv (medium for corporate enslavement) a long time ago.

KILL YOUR TELEVISION!!

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Re-phrase your sentence: "here's another opinion on Scientology"

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it "the truth". I found that alot of what is written on that website could be said about a lot of religions.

BTW...I'm not a Scientologist.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    also a sci-fi dude:

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/faq-you/celeb.txt

Name: Billy Sheehan
    Profession: rock bassist
    Expanded Grades completition, Happiness Rundown
    Achievement: plays in band "Mr. BIG"
    Sources: WP 10.12.94,
    WIS, Celebrity #240, #278, #280, #283, #289, #304, Impact #42
    http://www.billysheehan.com/

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Scientology is actually kinda interesting, when you first get into it. It's basically "basic psychology", at an interactive level. The ex-singer in my band, is heavily into that stuff. And it seems to be working for her. Which is fine. But I also know, that once you get into the "upper echelons" of the actual Church of Scientology, there's some pretty wierd stuff going on. Space aliens from the nether-regions, that kind of thing. I must say though, that the Church has a very interesting and helpful support network, when you're "in the middle" of that whole thing. Probably better than most, when it comes right down to it. And all they want is ten percent. :D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One time many years ago I emailed the contact email on the Scientology website and asked them if there was anything involving aliens in their religion. I got an angry email back denying anything of the sort and questioning my intelligence.

brad cook

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Name: Stanley Clarke
    Profession: jazz bassist
    Achievement: Friend of Chick Corea
    Sources: "name witheld" (for the above)
    Celebrity #21
    From Factnet & L. Wollersheim:
    "Stanley Clarke is a real interesting person.
    He and his wife came to realize what a scam it was
    and he is one of the only celebrities who had the guts
    to speak out and talk to people and tell them it's a scam."

15. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Sort of like what Tom Cruise did to Matt Lauer when Matt questioned him about his stance on prescription drugs.

16. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have 20+ friends who are Scientologists and they are completely normal. The whole "religion" is pretty much split. There are people who are in deep who wear a uniform and live communally and those who are more "civilian " in nature. I have heard about some weird stuff, but it seems OK overall. I have never had anyone try to recruit me or anything...I dislike all religions, so I am not a candidate. I do think its weird that Jews, Catholics, Islamics, etc. can also be Scientologists.

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was going to attend a Scientologist meeting for a class research assignment, but the guy I ended up contacting started trying waaay to hard to convert me, seemingly on the phone.

He started laying on the Dianetics stuff pretty early, and I just wanted to hang up. Unfortunately, they must have had Caller ID, because they now HAVE MY NUMBER, and "the guy" keeps calling me back about once a month...

Is this the same show that had Tom Cruise bad-mouthing stay-at-home moms; Brooke Shields in particular? I've heard some disgruntled folks saying something bout that...

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Legal actions, fraud, Lisa McPherson, LRH's
    chequered past, trouble with the IRS, courting of celebrities,
    and documented attempts at bullying it's detractors are not opinions, they are facts. Co$ is not a religion, it's a cult. Tom Cruise has no business lecturing anyone on anything relating to drugs or medicine. He's just another Hollywood freak.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It also gets pretty "expensive" as you get into the advanced seminars, it's not uncommon for them to charge 15-30 grand for a week of "advanced training". In fact the way they scam money makes the extreme Pentecostal preachers seem like paupers. These guys drive Bentleys! The ten percent gets you in the door but every "level" you advance requires a very costly commitment. In fact one thing you'll notice is there concentration in wealthy areas when it comes to proselytizing, they tend to work a neighborhood like political fund raisers. It seems like a great get rich quick religion for it's leaders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.