Tom Delonge Sig. Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John Davis, Sep 20, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Ok, I'm not going to poke fun at Blink 182 or anything, but have you seen the Tom Delonge Signature Guitar? It has one humbucker on it, and a volume knob, NOTHING else special about it(except maybe the paint), and its cost $500! Is it just me or is that outrageous for a guitar with that on it?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    those guitars probably bring in a lot of money from tabcrawler members anyway.
  3. Is that just a fender generic humbucker or a special one?

Some of the profits should go to
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    ROFLMAO!!!! Those statements about TabCrawler are so true. Anyway, I think it's just a standard humbucker, but if it wasn't I don't think the price would skyrocket like that.
  5. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Its a seymour duncan something-or-other pickup. Who cares. Its a guitar...
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    why does he even have a signiture guitar? he does nothing new, nothing inavative and his tone isnt that good.
  7. 500 might be a LITTLE high, but it's a great idea for a guitar. the pickup is a seymour duncan invader, a great pup.

when i play guitar, 98% of the time i solo the bridge humbucker and keep the tone on full. the tom delonge strat really is an ideal punk guitar.
  8. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I could careless about a guitar.

But hey it comes in that cool yellow color. Theres one cool thing about it.
  9. all this guitar bashing, and me cramming for my BIO test, its time for a RANT baby!

You all realize, you technicly play guitar. The only "true" bass players are URB players. The Electirc Bass was designed by leo fender as a bass for guitar players. It had frets (like guitars, not found on basses), Solid body (Not found on bass, found on the telecaster), you played it like a guitar (not found on the bass, obviously found on the guitar). The Electric bass (bass guitar) is basicly a guitar tuned an octive down (now there are extended range bass guitars), They had to acomidate the lower tuning with a longer scale. They had to acomidate the lower freq. with differnt types of amps. But it's still a division of the guitar family.

I'm not saying that bass is a "easy" to play guitar, or that you can approach it the same way, but its still a guitar. Look at the Alto Saxaphone, and the Baratone. You dont see them saying, oh the baritone is a bass sax, or whatever, they're both saxaphones, and you must apparoch them differently. Sure, a alto sax player can play a baritone, and a baritone player can play an alto, but will it be just like the other. Same concepts of hitting notes, but the whole style, and place of the instrument is differnt.

I dont understand why a lot of bass players must complain about saying the word GUITAR. Its just a word, and yet, a lot of you seem to not want to say it, and instead call it a g****r. Why is that? I dont get it, do you say "I play Bass g****r"? Cause technicly you're playing a guitar.

there i said it, and i'm not gonna proof read what i wrote, so if it doesnt make sense, oh well... all i can think about right now is how cell transportation has two types of movement active(aganst the gradient) and passive (with the gradient), and how to lable eveyrthing in a cell. fun eh? yeah

about the Tom Delonge strat...

Like mentioned, it is a slimmed down strat. many people say that it doesnt not deserve to be a sig. series guitar, and tom's not worthy. I agree, and think that the guitar should be a "designed by" simular to the Jag-Stang.

Also, It is my belief that the tom delonge strat is just a MIM deluxe fat strat, slimmed down, wiht different colors, different pickup, and only a volume knob. MIM Deluxe Fat strats go for $425. But, they are adding an Invade PU which is not standard with fender, thus the upcharge (that and the crazy colors, and the fact that people {some} will be willing to pay $500 for a guitar with tom's name on it.

If some of you think, hey, you can buy a regular fat strat and get the same tone. Here are the reasons why you cannot...

1. Invader pu (so you change that pu)
    2. magnetic pull of the other existing pu's in the neck and middle spot, it will effect the tone and sustain.
    3. Hard tail bridge. I believe the only other fender strat that's hardtail is the Big apple (i forgot what they changed the name to)
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    thats one big motha of a post
  11. Ever since 6th grade, i've always given answers in "Essay Form" You know short answer questions on like history tests? where your answer is supposed to be like 2 sentences, and they dont even have to be complete sentences, well i write about half a page per question. Part of my history final last year, we were supposed to take any even in history, and analize it, retell the events, and just critiqe the hell out of what happed, it was only suppsoed to be a 10 page paper. Mine was 20. Lets just say it was good that there was no "max" pages limit.

If you think that post was long, you should see the ones i wrote in the home recording forum. They were about twice as long as that one. And on talkbass, i dont proof read (hey paul wanna add a spell checker??? i've seen java spell checkers on pages before), and i dont space them out like i do with regular essays. they COULD be longer...
  12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Nice rant, Muttluk. I agree with most of your stuff, most. I don't think to be a REAL bassist you have to play an upright bass(which I do also). Anyway to stay on topic, I think muttluk answered my main point.
  13. i dunno, tom delonge seems pretty good to me, at least for the pop-punk style he plays, as for his guitar, less is more is it not?
  14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    That's true. And I applaud Fender for that guitar. I mean it might suck, but think about it. How many people listen to Blink-182, how many of them want to play guitar....think about it.
  15. yes those are some pretty nice guitars, i dont care what any blink haters think. The Invader pup rawks some serious bootay and i think surf green is one of the coolest finishes (an acquired taste i guess). Not to mention the body is routed to hold H-S-H (or so i've been told), so you could totally upgrade that baby if you wanted to. And i believe the reason why it is 500 is because its in the MIM deluxe series, not just a regular MIM standard.

I had planned on getting the tom delonge strat a while back, but instead i got a deal on a nashville telecaster and got that instead.
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i like blink 182, but i think that 500 is to high
  17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah. I don't have a problem with Blink-182. I don't like them though. I just thought $500 was high for what I saw. But it makes more sense now.
  18. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I like the Tom Delonge strat, and I think it is very nice. The guitarist player that I play with has a Daphne Blue Tom Strat on order.

I like the pickup they come with, it has an excellent clean tone and even better distorted. I think its cool that they come routed for more pickups.

But I didnt know that they were slimmed down??
  19. they come in daphne blue?? ACES! best strat color EVER, especially with a maple board.