Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom Jenkinson / Squarepusher

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rwagne2, Aug 2, 2001.

1. rwagne2

rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    Has anyone heard of squarepusher? I just listened to one of his albums for the first time, and I am totally in awe of the bass playing! I mean, this is better than anything I've ever heard (Les, Vic, Jaco, etc...)

Wow!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tom Jenkinson is starting his first US tour in a few days. I don't know if bassists and modern jazz fans will seeks him out because so much of his newer music is drum n' bass

I've seen him compared to Jaco but I've yet to hear him play anything even approaching a style that would offer a comparison. So much of it is bass software. But, I've only heard a little of his stuff.

I hear some of his latest stuff and I can't help but think of Phillip Glass. Not stylistically, but in the way the music is challenging. Maybe some Miles fans will dig him.

Which album did you hear? I'd like to hear him really play bass.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Hard Normal Daddy.
    Some nice bass playing, you hear the Jaco influence very clearly.
    The album sounds sometimes a lot like Weather Report with DnB thrown in.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    He has TONS of albums and EPs out there...

There is some great bass playing on an EP called "Squarepusher presents Budakan Mindphone"... the first track especially.

I have a couple of other albums which prominently feature his playing, but I can't think of the names offhand.

5. rwagne2

rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I had Hard Normal Daddy and Port Rhombus mixed in with some other DnB like Thievery Corp. etc. and when Squarepusher came on it was like a moment of clarity. The similarity to Weather Report was uncanny - I guess you could say its a mix between Weather Report and Aphex twin. Could you provide more info on Squarepusher's US tour?

Thanks,
    Robert

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    he plays all his instruments... he also slaps :) check the song "Deep Fried Pizza"

also love the bass line in "Come on my selector" (Probably the best know song of his/nice video too)

8. I haven't heard much from him...But from what I have heard (Squarepusher Theme, Chunk-S), he plays some pretty cool stuff. Fusion/DnB-And when it comes down to it, who else is doing that these days? ...Well, besides the first track off of Christan McBride's "Philedelphia Experiment"...

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks odd. I just realized there was a Bass Player article about Jenkinson not long ago. The "Squarepusher" connection didn't click when I first posted.

10. Any of you guys familiar with him? I've been listening to him for a few years (mostly cause I have a soft spot in my heart for electronic music and really want to learn how to program drum machines and sequence). His latest record is very electronic, but his first record "Feed me Weird Things" has lots of great bass on it. This guy is amazingly proficient. It's too bad he's not playing as much bass on his records these days. His music is definitely "out there", but Feed Me Weird Things is much more mainstream, kinda like electro-fusion or something.

11. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i haven't heard any of his music, but i like prick and nin as far as electronic music goes.

12. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Squarepusher is the man. I dig the new album, but i agree that the more instrument oriented stuff is better. He is a killer player. He oughta utilize those chops a little more. You ever heard Lake Trout, Filla Brizillia, or Aman Tobin? They are all "real" musicians doing the drumnbass-electronica thing instrumentally. I saw Lake Trout recently. Guitar, bass, drums with a flute-sax player. You would never know your not listening to a DJ. It's really deep drumnbass. www.laketrout.com

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love Squarepusher. As I recall, his 2nd album "Hard Normal Daddy" also features some rippin' bass playin'. The later albums I have by him feature less bass... I don't think there's any bass on "Go Plastic". But he does wild stuff with electronics too.

14. he rips out a few crazy licks on "budakhan mindphone" too.

15. 6 Stringer,

I'm familiar with Amon Tobin, but not the other guys you mentioned. I will have to check them out. I think he also uses the name Cujo for some of his projects. Pretty cool stuff as well.

I guess your' probably pretty familiar with other cool bass-oriented bands like Tortoise and such? If you want to check out some interesting stuff, you should check out Red Snapper, Dianogah and Volta Do Mar (these last two have two bass players each).

This might sound like a really ignorant thing to say, but I'm beginning to realize the group here on TB is a lot more diverse and open to new ideas/music than other groups I post or lurk on. Big Props to everyone.

Fuzzbass,

Go Plastic doesn't have any non-midi bass on it, but you still gotta love songs like "Red Hot Car" and the last one on the record. Strangely addictive.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like Squarepusher. Friend of mine got me into them almost 3 years ago. Very different, but really cool music to work out to! Havent heard anything in a little while, though.

I had no idea it was just a bassist, though, until I read the article in bass player!

17. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    anybody like foetus?

18. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    [[I guess your' probably pretty familiar with other cool bass-oriented bands like Tortoise and such?

yea, Tortoise is great. Way out there stuff. I could go on and on about this stuff. Anybody ever listen to The New Deal, ST Sector 9, or The Diso Biscuits?
    If not, check them out. They are all excellent live/electronic bands. If your into this kind of thing, you should really give Lake Trout a listen. I think there drummer is a Terminator.

19. Blacksburg, VA, huh? Do you go to VT? I used to live in Chapel Hill and my band used to play in Blacksburg from time to time. Cool little town.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Rothko has three bassists. I don't rate them as highly as Tortoise, but they create some nice music.

Cop Shoot Cop did some cool industrial with multiple basses. "White Noise" gets experimental, and "Release" is pretty heavy. I didn't care much for "Ask Questions Later", which got the best rating at Allmusic.com. (Actually I think allmusic does well at rating traditional styles of music, but with progressive/alternative/experimental bands they tend to give higher ratings to the more accessible albums).