Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom Jenkinson's (aka Squarepusher) bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, I presume you all know Squarepusher, one of my favourite artists of all times. He makes some kind of drill 'n' bass/electronica/ambient meets some jazzstuff. If you know him, you also know he's an amazing bassplayer (and drummer too I heard, but I haven't heard any drumsolos so far, his father was a jazz musician so he has some good influences :) )
    He plays a Warwick Custom 6 string (I think), here is a pic of it, it's not a Thumb, not a Corvette, some kind of Streamer? It has 3 pickups!

Can anyone give me some more info on it?

[​IMG]

2. It's a custom Corvette, judging by the bodyshape.

3. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    i tend to like his brother, Andy, better at times. he goes under alter-ego of Ceephax Acid Crew and is releasing on Ed DMX's Breakin' Records.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What kind of music is that?

5. its just a modded 6 string corvette!!

toms basswork on ultra visitor would make most the of the virtuosos out there break down and cry!! classical composistions tapped at their finest, amazing artist! and he doesn't have the normal "solo bass artist" ego!

i agree ceephax is great too!! *just check out the song rewind its genius!*

6. im pretty sure i have some of his stuff on either the planet mu or rephlex labels, its more acidy than squarepusher, alot easier to get along with.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I see, I'll check him out, I have to say, Ultravisitor is an album I'm having a lot of difficulties to get my mind around.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    look at his face!!! that thing must weight like 2 tons (rather than the regular corvette weight of 1.5 tons).
    some more info bout him would be apreciated ;) .

9. I think he has a Roland synth patch or something similar running off that thing - hence the three pickups (cool set up for sure) - as regards the weight of the thing I don't think it'd be half as heavy as a 6 string Thumb NT....Covettes are way lighter - but having seen the man live and playing that thing like it was a bad dog that needed whipping I tell you now it sounds awesome. He is a badaassss.

10. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    ceephax acid crew is techno acid stuff.