Tom Kennedy In Chicago Last Night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mike sancho, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Drove down to Martyrs in Chicago to see Dave Weckl last night. Tom Kennedy on bass. Last time he was there Kennedy was ill so we didn't see him. Man what a show and what a terrific player Kennedy is!!!! I think there were as many bass players there as drummers and I don't think anyone was dissapointed. Tom played his 5 string Fodera through a small Ampeg rig with 2 cabs. Tone to die for and bass playing at the highest level. the band is so tight and the interplay between them all was terrific. Steve Weingart, Gary Meek,
    Kennedy and Weckl. They covered some older material and some tunes off of his new release. What a night. Anybody else there?
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    cool show!! Wish I could have been there. I wonder what Kennedy would sound like in a rock or R&B setting.
  3. Tommy sounds good in most every setting. While I am not even in the same universe as him regarding my bass playing ability, believe it or not Tommy and I have subbed for each other on pop and 'cocktail' jazz gigs in St. Louis over the years (there's few things more intimidating than playing with a group the night after Tommy has played with them :eek: ). Tommy has an amazing knowledge of 70's funk and disco tunes, and can just nail that stuff.... hearing Tommy play some of those Chic bass parts is just staggering!