1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tom Kennedy Live

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    del

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I love every Tom Kennedy solo I hear - for the first couple choruses. Beyond that, he always seems to go into this "fit as many notes as possible into the space allowed" mode, and his solos lose a melodic story and just become a rapid fire mess.

Still, what a player!

3. Yeah, Mike Stern is a bit like that also. Every tune... nice verse and chorus, then the Mike Stern soft, clean chorus solo section, then the Mike Stern intense, overdrive chorus solo, then back to the verse:D

Tommy is something though, and to think he can do the same thing on DB... that is really scary to see.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Tom is amazing! He and Brian Bromberg just kill on both electric and upright bass!!

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I agree with you...

6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    Thanks for the links. Great way to start the day.

7. Tommy's main money gig for the last number of years is Ben Vereen! He can do a lot of stuff. Hard to make a living playing small clubs with Mike Stern these days.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yep. Incredible chops, but sometimes I get tired by the end of a solo. Love his tone, too.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Mike Stern can afford to pay the band.

10. Pretty tough out there playing those small clubs, one city after the other, only 4-5 months a year. No health insurance, no retirement benefits. Not a happy time for most of my friends in the business, even the great ones.

bass nitro likes this.
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Is it me or like you mentioned during the first couple of choruses of his solo the anticipation created when he rests leaves you wondering where is he going next? Very skillful player although I felt like it was two separate solos, one melodic following the chord structure of the main piece then another where he just let his chops hang all out.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This.

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep, that's what it is. I only saw him live once, with Weckl many years ago, and I don't remember it bothering me that night. It might be one of those things that works live because of the energy and volume, but doesn't translate well to recording.

14. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I can't take anything away from Tom Kennedy who is 100 times the player I'll ever be - but this to me is what separates a guy like Patitucci from the rest. Patitucci has wicked chops and his ability to come up with always changing monster licks that work with, and advance, the story the song is telling, is just astounding. To my ears there is nobody alive who better mixes ears, chops, and ability to pick the right statements at the right times.

But this thread is about Tom Kennedy, who kicks ass too.

15. Bringing this back from the dead...

I hadn't listened to Tom Kennedy before tonight. I have to say - I usually don't dig chop heavy jazz soloing, but his statement of ideas in this solo really spoke to me. I felt like he had 'something to say' with it: