1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tom Kennedy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ldiezman, May 13, 2006.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So I am playing a few tunes From Dave Weckl's New Live album and Every time I listen to It I'm just amazed at Tome Kennedy's playing. Everything about his playing is just phenominal. He has a 10 minute solo on there that is probably one of the greatest bass solo's i've heard. He is just so tasteful and tight on with his groove that it makes me a little sick to my stomach sometimes. Has anyone else listened to the new Weckly album... or anything with Tom on it?

I know people have brought him up before, but this man is truely underated IMHO.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Kennedy is a monster.
    I've been keen to his playing since Bill Connors' "Step It" first came out (which btw also has Weckl).

3. When I saw the Dave Weckl Band, my instructor and I agreed that Tom Kennedy, while amazing technically, was one of the wankiest players ever. I suppose it's partly the nature of Dave Weckl's music, but Kennedy sounded like he was just playing random notes as fast as he could. I should probably borrow my dad's copy of the Weckl CD, though. Could be worth another listen.

4. Great playing, great sound and burning groove....
    ...plus, CHOPS to spare..

..and that wonderful "Rhythm-a-ning" Solo!

...being "under-rated" depends on WHO is doing the "rating"
    -- Dave Weckl could afford to choose from ALOT of Bassists, but he chose Tom - Weckl certainly doesn't under-rate the guy!

... I haven't heard any of TK's acoustic bass playing yet, but I look fwd to doing so - I'm sure he's a monster on THAT as well!

.. yeah, you probably should; if you can't hear the *changes", it's not coz of what Tom's playing is lacking in

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello, no offense, but I think you and your instructor need an advance ear training course! :eek:
    Sorry!

Mo'

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, Longtime fan! I love Tom's playing, tone and groove. Wanky doesn't come to mind, but that's what makes the world go round.;)

7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    TK, IMO, is one of the finest players around. He's solid and creative and his tone is wonderful. He absolutely kills with
    Weckl. Sorry but I don't hear any wanking going on when he plays.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I think your are certainly capable of making that assumption.. and If you feel that way you really aren't wrong about personally.... But I mean when you are speaking of Wanking bass players, I would have to put Victor Wooten at the very very top of that list... I mean I love him and he is a super Monster... but That guy really is a wanker at times.

I just feel that Tom Kennedy is the type of bassist I have been aspiring to be for awhile now. Sickly tight Groove, amazing tone.... and from what I've heard, He is a super nice guy.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    First of all, Weckl is one of the tastiest wankers ever.

Tom Kennedy is his bass counterpart. When he is laying down a groove or is only in the first parts of his bass solos, he's one of my favorite players.
    When he does that 16th/32nd note flurry of notes, it's pure wankage.

These guys just have some insane chops that never stop, and they take advantage of them whenever possible.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Thats a perfect explanation of Dave Weckl and his band :)

and I love it

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Run don't walk over to your instructors place and quit now. There is nothing random about Tom Kennedy's note selection. Yes, he's fast, but he grooves first and foremost. Get your dad's CD and park your ass in front of the stereo and get a real lesson in bass playing.

12. Now as to Tom Kennedy playing random notes etc.

I love his stuff with Bill Connors. I saw him with The Weckl band and I I got the feeling and did the majority of the audience that when it came to the bass solo there was a lack of melodic intent if I can use an oxymoron.

It was fast and impressive but lacked, style. Now I am not going to base a judgement on a bass player of Kennedy's reputation on one gig.

Just an observation.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Tom Kennedy is an amazing player regardless of the "wankage".... I think that word is lame in it's entirety.

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "Now let's not resort to speed - let's get The Chicken sounding super funky using only 1/2 and 1/4 notes"

ahahaha - whatever.

No offense - Tom Kennedy rules! Although personally I'd like to hear him in a bit "fresher" of a fusion band. Weckl's ok, but Tom needs to play with Chick or Pat or somebody of that caliber.

15. kurkomat

kurkomat

Aug 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I've also been a big Weckl fan over the years and have seen him live with Kennedy several times. He's not playing random notes, but he absolutely needs to learn how to do a better job building a solo over a period of time. When I last saw him in Detroit he started a solo at let's say level 10 (out of 10) and five minutes later he's still at level 10. :meh: Yawn.
    Believe me I'm all for chops, just use them in the right place.

16. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Tom Kennedy is flawless IMHO. Amazing tone, great technique, incredible sound. I love the way in which he can solo, giving a distinctive "fretless-esque" flavor to it.

17. Bassballz

Bassballz

Feb 25, 2006

To each his own. Out of curiosity are you familiar with any of the many CD's that Tom has played on? I've been listening to Tom for 20 years and wanking has never been a term that I thought applied to his playing. Certainly not the part about random notes. You should get your hands on more of his work before you dismiss him, you just might learn something.

B.Ballz

18. Oops, forgot about this thread for a while.

I stand by my earlier comment, although the idea that his solos "lacked melodic intent" (that was up there somewhere) was a more eloquent statement of what I was trying to get across.

That said, I would hate to write off someone who is clearly so well-respected based on one performance I saw two years ago. It could have been an off night (I know the saxophone was a fill-in, and I couldn't hear the keyboards at all) or maybe I wasn't in the mood for it.

Can anyone recommend me some good Tom Kennedy recordings? I know he has done some work with Al Di Meola. I should probably grab that the next time I'm home, too.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Being about the same age as Tommy, and growing up and playing in the same city (St. Louis), I smile when I read the posts on this thread. They are very representative of the 'love/hate' sort of feeling that the St. Louis bass community has for Tommy.... the love.... amazing ears, stunning doubling capability, massive chops, and an articulate punchy tone.... the hate.... massive chops at all times in all situations, and a solo style that, as mentioned above, builds from 10 to 11 versus 1 to 10.

Tasteful playing.... that's not a description most of us use when describing Tommy:D . Tommy has a reputation of subbing on pop and funk gigs and.... playing 64th notes all night:rollno:

That being said, I wish I could experience just once what it would be like to have Tommy's ears and chops.... he truly is amazing, even if you don't like the 'artistry and taste' part. Finally... random notes!?!... Tommy knows EXACTLY what he is playing at all times.

20. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    These comments certainly echo my thoughts towards this particular 'school' of bass playing which to me is sheer athleticism, often times mirroring the whole shredder movement in guitar. On the one hand, its good that guys like Tom Kennedy can solo with the same technical skills of, say, a saxaphone, but for me, this doesn't suffice over melodic content and thematic development in soloing. Its definitely cool, and when I was in my own wanker/I wish I could play as fast as________(insert massively technical bass icon), I would have shat myself. Now, the more I play music, the more I'm impressed with the sublety of bass playing, and the ability to manipulate an ensemble with your playing style.
    Tom Kennedy and the like can keep the musical gymnastics, and I hope it serves them well. Anyways, I have to go and listen to Willie Week's solo on Donnie Hathaway's Live album. He actually manages to sound like a bass.