Tom Kennedy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hmjuice, Mar 24, 2003.

1. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Tom Kennedy has the best finger tone I've ever heard. He's on all the Dave Weckl cd's. He also has his own cd. Does anyone know if he has a website or something?
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    He did a solo record, too. Played "Oleo" at light speed with Dave Weckl. Amazing player.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...& rarely mentioned around these parts, too!
    His solo disc is mostly in an acoustic post-Bop/Latin vibe(very cool, IMO).

My first exposure to TK(& Fodera basses) was those Billy Connors trio albums(e.g. Assembler). Those are worth picking up(pretty cheap, too). Weckl or Kim Plansfield plays kit...they are very much Holdsworth-ian.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, I even have that solo album (Basses Loaded), and I totally forgot about it (the songs were too fuzak for me).
    I picked it up for like 4$ on a blowout.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like the Bill Connor's albums Jim Mentioned! They are from the 80's when everybody was moving to happy/gurlymon jazz.........but not Bill Connors! I think Bill retired because of the bullsh&t music scene.....Tom Kennedy is a badass!!
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man this dude smokes

i have been listening to a DW album with him on it for about three weeks straight...

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california

ive got those albums and that boy needs to admit to listening to a lot of holdsworth instead of saying hes a cross between clapton and coltrane. they brought up the bill connors topic with allan in a late 80's guitar mag and he mentions liking bill's playing more when he still sounded like bill connors.
  8. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Hi all!!!!!!!

Finally I see something about Tom Kennedy...
    He is one of my favourite bass players out there and he has one hell of a bass sound (probably my favourite sound).

I have all Dave Weckl albums where he plays and they are absolutely wonderful!!
    He not only plays Fodera basses, but also uses Yamaha TRB basses (I myself own a TRB6) - I saw this in the CD's booklet.

Besides playing with Dave Weckl e also plays in the "Planet X"'s last CD.

He is endorsed by Ampeg. From what I read at Ampeg he uses SVT-15E, SVT-410HE and SVT-3PRO.

How do you think that this guy gets the sound he gets? All that growl comes from where (bass, amp, eq, overdrive...)? I ask this because I really would like to understand the all process of getting an outstanding sound!!! (this question may seem stupid, but I cannot remember any other way of asking this.... sorry!!! :bawl: ).

9. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    That is my purpose behind original post....

Does anyone know how to get his sound or something close to it? Any engineers out there?:bassist:
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'd be willing to bet....that no matter what amp or bass Tom used, he would sound the same! It's his hands:bassist:
  11. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I've heard some of his live stuff when he was with Brasilian singer/pianist Tania Maria. I don't know if he's on any of her albums.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep. I have that cd! Tom Kennedy is one of the fastest, cleanest bassists I've ever heard.
  13. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Is that the guy from Ampeg Portabass video? I think that's him...well, he is one baaaad cat! Does he have a homepage? Who did he work with? I'm looking for some more information.
    OK, just found out he plays with Dave Weckl...
  14. I don't know that he's got a homepage, but there are some shots of him on the Fodera site in the 'Atrists' section.

He used to play with Bill Connors in a high energy fusion trio. He's also released a solo album, which I understand is mostly Latin material.

He's a great player with AWESOME tone...

from the low end,

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Tom Kennedy is the mainstay bassist for the Dave Weckl Band! I believe he also tours with Tania Maria, a Brazilian/American pianist-singer. Tom Kennedy is one of the best and fastest bassists I've ever heard! Definitely one of the best and a virtuoso!
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have that cd. There are few latin styled tunes but it's not all latin. It's titled 'Bassball'. Keith Horne also has a cd titled 'Bassball'!
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Kennedy's solo disc is called Basses Loaded...right?
    Kennedy mostly plays the acoustic bass on that album. IMO, it is in a post-bop/Latin vibe(for the most part). Definitely worth having; I think it was Evidence Records that had it for about $9 or $10(that was about a year ago).
    I think Kennedy is the 1st guy I saw playing a Fodera bass; once upon a time, I stumbled onto Billy Connors' Assembler album & loved the playing of all involved. If you're a fan of Holdsworth, check out those 1st three Connors' discs with Kennedy(Double Up & Step It are the other two...I think).

Horne has an album out?
    I know of his tune, "Bassball"...seen him do it LIVE a few times(it's also on Secrets' 1st tape/album; at least I think it was their 1st album).
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That is correct! I checked my cd case and saw I quoted the wrong title! I have to listen to it again as I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

*Only 2 of the 9 tunes feature acoustic bass.

Keith Horne has a cd for sale at Not your average type cd. It only has 4 songs on it. The man is a baddazz. How the hell he plays the way he does upside down and lefty is beyond my comprehension to say the least.:bassist:
  19. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    To verify, I checked my collection out, too...Brian Bromberg also has an album titled Basses Loaded.
    BTW, I am shocked that only 2 of the 9 tracks on Kennedy's disc is URB; I woulda swore it was the other way around.

Horne is a freak(I mean that in the best sense of the word). ;)
    I guess I'm 'lucky' to live in an area that had Horne, Wooten, & Burbridge playing in bar was fun while it lasted(or should I say fun AND depressing as Hell!). ;)

Horne plays 'lefty' ala Haslip...another VA guy with an unorthodox playing style is Quentin Berry. The first time I stumbled into Kokomo's(Va. Beach nightspot) & saw his thing, I thought-
    This guy must really be bored(this band played Alternative Rock stuff like Sponge...come to think of it, Q also played the Dave Matthews' covers in the same manner & very convincingly!).