tom owen bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by kip, Nov 17, 2002.

1. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Anybody familiar w/ Tom Owen bows?
    website? remarks. Thanks.
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yep, I have a German one and love it, choosing it over several bows that cost more than double. Tom is a great guy and will send you one on approval. His number is 580-927-9939, and living in tiny Coalgate, OK he has no website. Ask for black hair; the silver he uses doesn't work well on bass bows. Just about every person I have referred to Tom has loved his bows.

3. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'll second Monte's opinion. I had a French bow made by Tom and just recently purchased a German bow. Quite satisfied and Tom is a super nice guy to deal with.

4. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I got the bow, German frog and +/- 80% pepper to salt hair, and am very pleased.
    Talk about grip, you could enter this little beauty in a tractor pull.
    Update/edit. I/m getting used to this fine instrument (the bow) and I'm enjoying an amazing range of sound/ tone.
  5. what kind of bread are we talking about on these bows?

6. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Dave, I bought mine retail for +/- $600 (with a case). I never spoke w/ Mr. Owen, but you might save by going direct. Monte notes Mr. Owen's phone to be 580-927-9939.

Just thinkin:
    There is probably a cost/quality range.
    As I recall, you are playing a 7/8 with huge sound. If $ possible, 1) try one on approval: 2) fasten your seatbelt;3) Tell mom not to send the family china yet.