tom petersson?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm just getting into cheap trick. anyone have any insight on his gear, what he recorded with, used live, etc.
  2. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I think he played Hamer alot - and a 12-string at that. Live at Budokan (or however you really spell that) is a good chance to hear the effect - it's more of a low chord than distinctive notes (listen to solo trade-offs in Ain't that a Shame).

I like alot of his lines - a great album is All Shook Up - produced by Sir George Martin.

Recently - he seems to be using more retro looking basses.
  3. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I have a live video of them pre-Budakan-
    He was playing a T-Bird thru SVTs-
    I believed he recorded the early albums w/T-Birds before
    he hooked up w/ Hamer-
    Saw a recent pic w/ him playing Hamer 12-string thru
    SVTs & a Hi-Watt guitar stack for the high-end-
  4. metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: there is a good article about him and his gear good site about 12 string bass players and there set ups hope that helps
  5. TP started out with Hamer building his 12ers, then moved over to Chandler.

He uses HiWatt and Rickenbacker amps / cabs, tho the Ric gear has been fitted with new speakers.

6. TP is now endorsing Hofners.........

7. Tom Petersson... righteous bassist. I always think of his 12-string bass line on "Gonna Raise Hell" from Dream Police. Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" would not have sounded half as heavy had TP not picked up the 12-string thud staff first! :bassist:
  8. was actually played on an 8 string, which probably makes it sound clearer. Excellent song choice.
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    My Tom peterson story. I never met him,but Robin Zander
    used to come in to the music store I worked in. Summer of
    1996 he was in with his wife,Playboy centerfold wife that is.
    she was wearing a white tank top with no bra,the entire store came to a grinding halt. Anyway Robin told us that 2 of Tom's Basses were stolen after soundcheck at a club in Ybor city(our local tourist trap burbon street wannabee).My old girlfreinds car was broken into 3 separate times down there.I remember
    they were some kind of custom Bass he had made,but I can't
    remember what kind they were. I remember Robin said they were one of a kind.
  10. I played a show with Robin Zander's really hot daughter. She seemed really nice.
  11. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    One of my favorites! 2nd concert I ever saw- on the tour after Budokan became huge, I was 10.

Anyway, run don't walk and get the first two Cheap Trick albums. Mandocello, He's A Whore, 'Elo Kiddies- many, many classics.

trivia: Rick Nielsen was 30 years old when he made the first album.
  12. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    i bought a tv and a microwave from tom peterson.
  13. Love "Gonna Raise Hell" and "Can't Stop Falling in Love"... great bassist!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  14. Some CT photos I took earlier 2004 at their show in London - link
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    One of my fav all time bassists. The first songs that I ever played in a band were Cheap Trick songs. I even made one of my basses into an 8 string to try to get his sound.
    Man those were the days.
  16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I had the pleasure today of hanging out with Robin, Rick, and Tom during a photo shoot. Being a bassist, naturally I gravitated more towards Tom. He let me play his Waterstone 12's, a '64 T-Bird, and a '64 P-Bass. He tried my Vigier Arpege which he really liked, but he said the action was too low! Very cool guys all of them, and they put on a GREAT show last Monday nite at the House of Blues in Anaheim. I was on the floor, standing about 8 rows back, right in front of Tom; his 12vers sounded insane through a big wall of Reeves amps which I think are actually guitar amps. Very unique tone, and a very cool dude.

17. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Reeves amps are just like old Hiwatts, just a different label because Fernandes owns the Hiwatt brand in US or something like that.
    Everytime I see some recent Cheap Trick pictures Tom seems to have a different amp setup. Rickenbacker cabs, Hiwatt cabs and heads, an occasional Orange head etc. His sound is always great 'though.:)
  18. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    One of my few claims to fame is that I drove a Ryder truck full ot CT's gear from Detroit to New Orleans. Fortunately all I had to do was get it to the hotel. The road manager took an hour and a half to find a place to park it and walk back. While I was waiting for him and killing time before my flight home, I wandered the streets a bit, saw Lenny Kravitz on the street(boy is he short), and then wandered back to the hotel bar to sit. Rick Nielsen was there, he was mostly quiet, but chatted a bit. At one point he asked why I was going home so quick. I said that it was when they booked the ticket for. He turned to me, lifted those sunglasses and said "Better minds than ours have changed plane tickets." I didn't have an arguement, but I didn't have a hotel room or much time to try to change my plans and my wife was expecting to pick me up at the airport. Oh well, it was a well paying weekend roadtrip.
  19. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have his solo album and 2 autographed photos of him. he's friends with a friend of mine.
  20. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I have to respond to this Thread, Let me get Budokan II on to get things going in my head.
    there we go...I picked up Tricks first LP(and I do mean on vinal) when I was 17, Had no clue who the were but the cover looked interesting.....ELO kiddies My god my world changed as a bass player!!!!
    I was into the Pbass sound of John Deacon, and was playing a 74 p. I still love that sound and still love Fenders but this sound was out there!!!!!!
    Then I saw them on tv and saw that bass!!!!!!! His original Hamer 12 with the quad pick up and about a dozen knobs on it........I wanted a Bass just like that!!!!

I played a hamer cruise for a few years through a boss octaver to try to get that sound, Not even close, Then one day I ran into a Guy in a Music store and we started talking basses and told him of my GAS for a 12.

That guy was Hal Hamer, a nephew of Mr. Hamer himself and he sold me a robins egg Blue Hamer 12 with dual DiMarzos and built in pre amp!!!!!! I know longer have it, had to sell it in a messy sort of divorce settlement...Long story:crying:

anyway I met Tom once, Great guy!!!!!! showed him the Pic I had of the 12 and he asked me where I got it?
    I told him and it turned out he had played it at some point.

Any wayTom didnt play 12 string on a lot of studio recordings, A lot of the early stuff Is A T bird with him doubleing the track with a Telecaster!!!!

But Live in the early years live he had The original quad 12.

He left the band in the mid 80's and did a album with his wife Dagmar singing and was using I belive a Modulas custom 18 string(not kidding) In that time he was repalced by Pete Commita briefly, Pete never recorded with them as far as I know.
    Then Pete was replaced by John Brandt who was more of a four string player.

Anyway Tom came back in the early 90s playing a Hamer 12Ba, swithed to Chandlers for a while.

Anyway, Im distracted... my 8 string is calling....get Budokan II Amazing live recording!!!!:bassist: