1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tom Petersson's Waterstone Peacock bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wil Cruz, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Wil Cruz

Wil Cruz

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi all-

I recently acquired an original Waterstone TP-2 (my first TalkBass lesson: no picture=no bass!). It's my understanding that the bridge can be weak on these early models due to the long scale string tension.

I had it set-up by Indianapolis luthier Tom Everett and so far haven't had any problems.

Does anyone know anything about the bridge and tailpiece on Tom Petersson's famous Peacock Bass? As far as I can tell, it's the only one of his many Waterstone basses with this hardware.

Thanks!

(Photo of Tom Petersson via Flickr member Anglia Photography)

TP2. peacock_bass.

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not sure what you mean by 'weak'... do you mean that the bridge may sag in the middle from the pressure of the strings? If so, I have had that issue with my Hamer 12s. So far, my Waterstone TP-12 34" seems okay. There's a chap named Jim Morgan who knows most of the intricacies of the various Waterstone 12s. Not sure if he is on TalkBass.

3. Wil Cruz

Wil Cruz

Apr 29, 2014
    Thanks for your help. I guess it was a poor choice of words.
    According to 12stringbass.net, these early bridges may sag in the the middle depending on how the bass is set up. The early bridges had a 2mm thick base and were replaced by bridges with 4mm bases on later models. I haven't had any problems with mine so far.

I was curious about the bridge and tailpiece on the Peacock bass mostly because it looked really sturdy. I was also wondering if it was available commercially. And curious as to why it was only on one of Tom's Waterstone basses.

Thanks for the heads up on Jim Morgan.

4. I think the hardware on Tom's peacock bass is standard issue with the most recent Waterstone TP 12 string bass series. Those basses are 323" scale, with a 1.5" thick body as opposed to the 2" thick body and 34" scale found on the yellow 12ver above, which is from the first series. Those had a very wide neck and nut, whereas the more recent models have a more narrow neck and nut, and also feature block fret markers. The bridge on Tom's bass has four screws stabilizing it, whereas the early models clearly only had two.

5. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Your bridge looks just like the 2 screw one Waterstone used on the Ozone and a few others. as I show below. I have the Ozone, no problem with the bridge in 3+ years.
    Visit www.12stringbass.net for LOT asbout 12 string basses.
    [​IMG]

6. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Call Roy or Scott at RS Guitarworks.... I think they did the Waterstone setups for Tom. Including reinforcing the bridge.....

I recall speaking to Roy about it a while back.

859-737-5300

7. Wil Cruz

Wil Cruz

Apr 29, 2014
    Hey all-

Thanks for all of your help and info.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I always thought a 12 or 8 string bass would be cool tuned DGCF