Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom Petty is Angry at the RIAA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by submelodic, Oct 28, 2002.

1. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tom Petty Kicks A$$ !!!

I gave up TV completely 7 years ago... nothing worth while there. My cable internet company charges me extra because I don't have standard cable and at least twice a year calls and mails in a threatening way... claiming since I don't pay for cable, I must steal it.

The Radio is almost as bad... I find myself listening to the local Talk station instead of the 'Rock, Jazz, Pop or Country' stations.

3. Why was this article published on Rolling Stone????

(damn ironic!!!)

4. Complete idealism with not too much of a grasp on reality. Too many points in there to argue, but in general...
    We're in a capitalist society. Companies exist to make money, not to make everyone happy. It's not like the public is FORCED to listen/watch whatever big companies put out there. There are a lot of non-corporate-backed bands, films, etc. going around. But the vast majority of the public are lazy bastards who don't see the need to make that extra effort to find something that isn't promoted all over the media. Or you know what? Maybe they just plain ENJOY what's popular, even though they've experienced things not in the norm. As a radio DJ and student of the media, I firmly believe that the media does NOT dictate to the public what they should like; the public dictates to media what they want to see/hear. The media takes chances all the time, but because of profitability (remember: we're in a capitalist society) the margin for error is low.

For example: reality TV in prime-time. A show like Survivor was a huge chance for the networks because of its costs. However, a shot was taken at it, and the public ate it up. Then they ate up other knock-offs. So if you're in the TV business, what do you say to yourself? Exactly. Why do you think you don't see any more westerns on TV? Because the public got sick of them and quit watching. When the ratings sunk, the TV networks dropped the shows.

My main point is that the public tells the media what they want, and the media companies take that and make it profitable for themselves. The problem lies not with the "evil corporations", but with society itself.

5. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think he is claiming that the industry should be non-profit, it seems he is saying that extreme greed has lowered the standards to the point where anything will be released if it's a good bet it will make a lot of money.

Petty is not being idealistic, he is simply stating things as he sees them. He also makes sure to say that he thinks the industry isn't all to blame, many artists are as well.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i wasn't following his argument as to why artists are to blame, too (was there one? i've got that R.S. [i know, i know...but christina aguilera is NAKED!]).

b/c they are just as greedy? aren't they the ones with the least to earn and most to lose? aren't record companies largely responsible for these awful contracts?

it's been a while since i read that article, so take it easy on me.

:oops:

7. OK you guys, before you start bashing Petty, read this: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

and then ask yourself...'do I really want to be a rock star?'

There is also an interesting article here:
    http://www.boycott-riaa.com/facts/spin.php

even the Senators know that there's something fishy going on!!!

I was never much of a Tom Petty fan, but after reading this I have a LOT more respect for him.

Die Clear Channel!! Die Time-Warner!!