"Tom Sawyer" at your nearby Grocer!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 21, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yup! I was shopping this eve at Kroger and that was Rush performing their hit "Tom Sawyer" on the overhead. "Decent background music", I thought "...a fluke!" Only to be followed up by the Allmans'; "Midnight Rider" a personal favorite. Bob Seegers' "Old time Rock & Roll" , no real surprise there. Deep Purple; "Smoke on the Water" what th'? I was holdin' out for the MC5 but, no luck. At the grocery store!

So much for your daddy's scourgin' rock!

Does your local mart rock?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Last time I went to Kroger to pick up some milk, Mr. Mister was rockin' the house. :help:
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Which featured Pat Mastelleto, who is now the drummer for King Crimson. :D

My local grocer plays whatever the hell they want, since they are one of those independant hippie joints.
  4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    My local Kroger was goin' retro with that smash hit from A Flock of Seagulls called "I Ran".
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    They must have a decent Muzack selection. It was only a few months ago that I figured out a way to bypass ours with a discman. Before that, we had three stations, lite FM hits (constant Celine Dion), hot FM (well, you know), and 70's (the Elton John and Bee Gees station). Whew.
  6. Shopping at Kroger and no Nickelback? Disgraceful!
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Donald Fagan's "Nightfly" record gets LOTS of grocery store play. The whole album.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just figured how to change the Muzak at the deli I manage.

I am changing it from Pop Country to either Power Rock or Modern Rock Alternative the next time I open or close.

I go to the produce section groovin to "We want the Funk" while i get some bananas!

10. I hear that all the time :cool:

But as for Rush and the Almans Bros I think its cool cool cool, but there's got to be a bunch of 16yr olds running through Krogers going "listen to that old fart music" :D
  11. P. Aaron

The other "classic" that I heard while Krogering was Cream's; "Sunshine of Your Love". At least the Bass Players in rock music: Geddy, Berry Oakley, and Jack Bruce were well represented.

I was thinking along similar lines regarding rock music's relative "age" and how: those tunes..."used to be cool". When I hear Black Flag, the Misfits or, Minor Threat while shopping at the grocer will I know that rock is all done.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I actually recall being pleasantly surprised by song selections at various times at my local Kroger. I can't recall anything specific, but I know I've caught myself going "no way!" on more than one occasion. :cool:

13. That would be awesome...

WE'RE GONNA HAVE A TV PARTY TONIGHT! *grabs as many bags of dorritos has he can*
  14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Stop and Shop still has creampufffluffmix92.05=vomit mix.

Must be one of them hard edge,
    'Detroit, Breakdown,
    Motor City Shake Down ...'

kind of things,

spreading insidiously from MI to the Blues States.

Consider it a civil word, from your Blues Loving Eastern cousins, Pimpy my friend ...
    yes, we are all still friends ... Madman!
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  16. P. Aaron

Not to mention: "No Values", "Bullet", or "Straightedge".

Come to think of it, if I'm in the grocer and I hear the Stooges or the MC5, or Black Flag, I ain't gonna be contemplating the downfall of rock as much as I'm gonna be sayin': "ALLLLRIGHT!"
  17. Thor

No need to swear, it is against all the New Family Values,
    espoused by our new mandate of nationalism.

I am back in 1937 against my will ...
  18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I work in a grocery store, and the other day, I noticed the same thing. We went from Flock of Seagulls and Tears for Fears one day to Rush, U2, and Floyd the next. I was very confused. And since I work in a very large and busy store, I wasn't able to check what was up.

We use sattelite radio, maybe XM decided to add some good music to their Muzak station.
  19. Yes, the grocery store that's named after the famed Nickelback singer freely admits they have "No Values." But of course the produce section has great prices on "Salad Days," and of course the shoe department (in the... grocery...store...) would have their "Nike A Go Go" sale.

I thought I was old when Journey came out with a "Greatest Hits" album.
    I realized I was an old man when I had a record I liked and heard one of the songs on the Walgreens muzak. Although I loathe the song Brick by the Ben Folds Five, that album rocks, and that song was on the muzak. Not a muzak version, the recording of Brick.
  20. Thor

Stop it, you are starting to scare me ...!

My 'I need this CD eventually' list hasn't got past '84 yet ...