1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Tom Sawyer" Tone with EHX Microsynth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tjnkoo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    The million dollar question once again: How to dial in a Tom Sawyer type synth tone on an EHX Microsynth. I've read here on talkbass you can do it pretty easily, but I've been messing with mine for hours and I got nothing. If someone could help me out that'd be great! :hyper: I need it for playing it in the next couple days with a group. Thanks all!

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    IIRC someone made a pretty good stab at it with a Digitech Bass Synth Wah (~$40-50).

3. Its fairly simple to make that kind of patch. Set a low pass filter with a lot of resonance with a long release. The trick is that you need a relatively fast LFO modulating the cutoff frequency while it follows the envelope. I like the way a square LFO sounds, but I think Geddy was using a sine or saw LFO.
    IIRC you need a fair amount of sustain so that the big swoopy cutoff only kicks in on the longest notes.

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's pretty easy, IIRC: Trigger depends on your input volume, set the four voice sliders roughly equal at about 60-75%, Attack Delay at 0, Resonance at about 75%, Start at about 80%, Stop at around 10-15%, Rate was around 50-60% (least confident about that, but it's pretty easy to adjust). Take that as a starting point and go from there, depending on your taste.