1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tom "T-Bone" Wolk. Lets remember him.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassrique, Dec 6, 2019.

1. I remember "T-Bone" Wolk from his days as the house bass for Saturday Night Live. I loved that outro song when the guest hosts said goodbye. I am thinking about him because he was mentioned in the "Didn't get the gig because my bass was strapped too high".

The quote below is from a Howard Stern interview:

JOHN: He was, he was a genuine and an amazing human being and I WILL say this - I will go on record saying this, he was the best musician I've ever played with, hands down, and I've played with some of the greatest in the world. No one could even shine his shoes. Everything he did was right. He had this sense- he had an unbelievable encyclopedic knowledge of music on everything from folk, to blues, to R&B, to pop, to classical, you know, you name it. And the guy was – he was a very unique human being and I miss him every day.

GARY: Yeah, his connection to our show was: when I used to do Howard's birthday shows, I would put together this all-star band and the first call I would make every year was T-Bone. T-Bone would go, 'I'm in man, I'm in.' T-Bone did it I think like 11 years in a row, the second call I would make was Max Weinberg [of the E Street Band] and those two guys were the basis of the band. G.E. Smith played one year, and Jimmy Vivino played one year, but it was always T-Bone, man, he was the backbone there.

JOHN: Yeah, can I tell you a quick story about him?

GARY: Sure.

JOHN: 'Cause I really can't say enough about him. When I made my first solo album in Nashville, when I went down there, I was gonna use all Nashville players. And I had a Nashville engineer, a very famous engineer. And he asked me 'who's gonna play bass?' I wanted somebody to have my back because I was walking into a new environment with all new players, and I thought to myself, you know, I gotta have some comfort here so I said I'm gonna bring T-Bone with me and that way I know that everything's gonna be good. So I told the engineer that I was gonna bring my guy T-Bone, you know, to play the bass. And he goes, 'aw man I don't know, you know these guys are the top, these are the a-list guys, you know, he might not …' I said, don't worry, he'll be fine. So we get there and we start recording, right? Next thing you know all these people are coming into the studio, these Nashville guys. And the engineer goes 'now why are these guys here?' And they said 'we came to see T-Bone.' And the engineer goes 'holy poopie!' No one could believe it, and T-Bone of course was T-Bone, he basically commanded respect without saying a word. All he had to do was play. And people went, wow! I get chills when I think about it.

bassbrad, 2112, SwitchGear and 52 others like this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    kobass, tindrum, Dr. Cheese and 7 others like this.
  3. Found this. Screenshot_20180315-103708-picsay.png Who is the guitarist that kinda looks like Arnold Shwartzinagger?

SwitchGear, Artman, scowboy and 3 others like this.
  4. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    The guitarist is the previously mentioned G.E. Smith. What amazing musicians.

NG51, SwitchGear, Artman and 10 others like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved his playing!

SwitchGear, Joshua, tindrum and 2 others like this.
  6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

T-Bone played bass on a good friend on mine's record, about 15 years ago. Everything he played was so tasty and the tone was absolutely great. I think he played some sort of hollowbody. Another good friend of mine played guitar on the record and he said T Bone was absolutely one of the nicest guys on Earth. He ended up giving him a huge pile of brand new guitar strings he had (he was endorsed). I ended up leaning a few of those tunes because I did some live dates with the guy. I loved playing his lines. I did not play them "my way"... I learned them proper.

ELG60, JackNasty, tindrum and 8 others like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Love the song...and even the video. :)

SwitchGear, Joshua, tindrum and 3 others like this.
  8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    T-Bone was great. As a fan of "Live at Daryl's House" I always wondered why he didn't play bass on any of the sessions he was on. He usually played acoustic guitar.

Rayjay and Chrisk-K like this.
  9. T-Bone...

Fantastic musician.

Exemplary bass player.

A master of the groove AND the tasty fill.

One of the best bass tones ever put to tape.

Great human being.

No wonder Daryl and John { and just about every musician he ever played with } adored him...

JimK, ELG60, SwitchGear and 4 others like this.
  10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Someone I wish I could've met.

Given that H&O came out of Philly and were so deeply influenced by that whole MFSB/Sigma Sound enigma, the mere fact that they chose Wolk above everyone else speaks volumes to his talent.

And yes, I very much enjoyed watching Wolk and G.E. camp it up for the camera during those SNL outtros over the years.

Rayjay likes this.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Great musician. Didn't just play bass. He played a host of instruments.

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    T-Bone used flats for the A,D and G strings and a roundwound for the E string on his P. One of the most tasteful bassists.

Snaxster, SwitchGear, kjp360 and 9 others like this.
  13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999

Joshua, JimK, Rayjay and 1 other person like this.
  14. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    My dad is big fan of his. His favorite bass player.

15. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    ouf ... and then we act like Billie Ellish is crap ... damn ...

As for the dude well he is another nameless sideman.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know Charlie DeChant, the sax player from H&O, and he said he absolutely loved working with T-Bone, who by then had switched to guitar and was MD. Was not so kind about working with GE Smith, though. I've heard people say GE always seemed really smug and way too happy with himself, and I had no idea what they were talking about because he always came across as just having fun to me, but according to Charlie, they weren't wrong. Go figure :D

17. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    anyone know what that bridge pickup was that he added to his bass?
    and did he use passive or have some sort of preamp in there?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  19. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Not nameless to a lot of us, just sayin'.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    JimK, tindrum, onamission and 4 others like this.