Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tom "T-Bone" Wolk

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slackdaddy, Oct 5, 2004.

1. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Just listening to some of his stuff today. I love this guy's playing. Any other T-Bone fans in here? Anyone know what he is doing these days?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Saw him about a year ago, on tour with Hall & Oates.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    T-bone Kills.
    Saw him with Hall and Oats last year too.
    Very good session player too.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    He's a great groover.When he and T.G.Shephard were together with Hall and Oates, and even on Saturday night live, it was magic.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've been digging T-Bone's playing since I was in High School when Hall and Oates were the biggest thing going.

I've also seen him live most recently with H+O, as well as Carly Simon and Billy Joel a few years ago. I heard he was all over some Elvis Costello and Joe Pesci (!) recordings, but I haven't checked them out yet.

In this day and age of bass gear costing thousands upon thousands of dollars, he proves hands down that a guy can get up there with a P Bass, a simple SVT rig, and no effects other than a cord and still kill. In addition, he's an inspiration to prematurely bald men the world over :bassist:

puffman likes this.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of my favorite pick players! Check out his live work with Hall & Oates live at the Apollo. :bassist:

JimK likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Years ago, I read that T-Bone Wolk played on Curtis Blow's the "The Breaks," one of the earliest major rap hits. He is definitely versatile.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Close! Actally it was G.E. Smith. I saw T-Bone a few years back, playing guitar with GE's band.(I don't remember who was on bass) Let me tell you, he was laying down some smooooth blues guitar riffs. And his voice sounded like Pavorotti, compared to GE's!

puffman likes this.
  9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    In the early days of Guitar For the Practicing Musician (GFTPM), T-Bone use to write a monthly column called “bass in the ‘80s. The main premise would be him taking some cool bass lines from a popular song and analyzing why it was so great. The stuff he picked was not rocket science (i.e. “Talking in Your Sleep” by the Romantics and “Photograph” by Def Leppard.) but that was his point: there is no shame in composing and/or having a bass line to a song that makes the song sound good!

GFTPM, and the wave of transcription magazine that followed really impressed upon me how simple most rock-pop songs are and the right bass line can make or break its success.

Tom also wrote a great book called “Rock Riffs For Bass” where he analyzed the role of the bass and key players from Willie Dixon doing Chuck Berry sessions on Chuck Berry in the ‘50s to James Jamerson on Motown to Squire and McCartney in the 70s to slap-pop in the 80’s. The book is 10% text and 90% examples/exercises. I’m not sure if it’s still in print but 20 years later, its still an excellent book!

10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Straight up! It's still ALL in the hands and heart of the player. If you can't play and groove it doesn't matter if you spent $200 or $2000 on a bass.

He's a monster groove machine. :bassist:

Muddslide likes this.
  11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i love his bassline on hall and oates, "one on one", that slams.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was listening to Hall and Oats Greatest Hits the other day... I'm sure T-Bones lines had a lot to do with how well the Band did. They are a major part of all the tunes IMO.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

T-Bone is one of those 'true' doublers who plays guitar and bass! I love his sound, his work ethic and his stage presence!

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    killer player, really plays for the 'song'... he plays nearly every instrument out there!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why is nobody mentioning that T-Bone has switched to guitar for Hall and Oates? I think that would be the big story here, but nobody's mentioned it.

16. Actually, T-Bone has played guitar (and other instruments too) as well as bass on other H&O stuff over the years. He is a dynamite producer as well and plays mulitple instruments on a wide variety of stuff these days! Very versatile as has been mentioned and can make just about anything sound great!

Peace,

T

17. cassie

cassie

Jan 4, 2012
    Rest in Peace Tom Wolk (2-28-10).

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    not much actually, I was wondering when someone was going to get around to the bad news.