Tom Waits

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Sep 22, 2004.

1. I ve only heard one song- The piano has been drinking- but i think its wonderful, and id like to get better aquaited with mr tom, any suggestions?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think we've had some in-depth Tom discussions here. Do a search.

That song is off of one of his early albums, Small Change. It is indeed a great song.

I think my favorite ones from him at the moment are some of his more recent ones Alice and Mule Variations and I also like Bone Machine and Rain Dogs a lot.

My favorite songs are Hold On & House Where Nobody Lives - both from Mule Var. and Alice, Everything You Can Think, Poor Edward and Watch Her Disappear - all from the album Alice. I also like Dirt in the Ground, Who are You and Whistle Down the Wind from Bone Machine.

brad cook
  3. same deal here, burma shave, i actually saw the film clip, and warm beer and cold women
  4. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Used Songs 1973-1980 is a nice first album to check out. Good stuff.

But let me warn you, you probably won't be able to stop there, so you might want to just start with actual albums (this one's a compilation, obviously).
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Rain Dogs and Bone Machine are my faves from Tom.

One of the many things about Tom that i love is that he has been in a bunch of movies as the "odd character", he performs with many famous groups and artists and he has many artists perform with him...yet the average joe has never heard of him. that makes his music more personal to me.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Perhaps none more odd than the senior-loving nonlethal weapon inventor from Mystery Men. :)

He's going to be doing a voice for a character in an upcoming animated feature I've heard. Well, also a character in Shrek 2 sang one of his songs but that doesn't really count as "doing a voice" I don't think.

brad cook
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Gotta love the Blame Thrower!
  8. My favorite tunes are Eggs & Sausage, and Come on Over to The House. My band plays them, and the crowd usually just stares at us, but we love them.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Got Rain Dogs today, incredible album. Tom sounds like he gurgles with gravel, awesome voice though.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've found Tom Waits is kind of like either love him or hate him. I love him. Great stage presence too. He performed a good deal of the show on a small square platform in all black with a top hat and a single spot light.