Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tomastik Jazz Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steve S, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have loved playing with these strings....so smooth with a buttery soft feel. I've never had such nice strings. However I have a concern. During rehearsal last week, the band got into a heavy groove and I found myself really diggin in and plucking the strings. It seemed that the harder I played, the slower I got. My fingers didn't bounch off the strings quickly. Has anyone else experienced this or do I just need to work on my technique?

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    What you're experiencing is the result of the very low tension of the Jazz flats. I find that, while the tone is fabulous, they are excessively "floppy" especially the E string. The more you dig in the worse it gets. Either you need to play with a very light touch or get some flats with higher tension. I just took Jazz Flats off my RB5 and put on D'Addario Chromes and the tension difference is significant. I like the tension of the Chromes better BUT they are a different sounding flat than the TI's. Labellas have higher tension too but again different sounding. (The Chromes and LaBellas don't have as much midrange warmth as the Jazz Flats).

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Yeah, I just bought some TI Flats for my bass and I noticed the same thing. I like the tone, but I don't like how I can;t play with as much power. The reason I bought the TI flats was because in this month's Bass Player they said they
    were good for slapping too. Anyone know some other nice sounding, higher tension flats that can still be slapped?

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Would you recommend the D'Addario over the Labellas? I play with a MIA deluxe Jazz.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Steve S - This is my first try with the Chromes and I'm more impressed than I expected to be. I think that if both Chromes and LaBellas were sitting in front of me in the store I would probably get the Labellas. I think the LaBellas have a slightly more vintage tone with a bit "larger" bottom end. But hell, the Chromes on a 5 String provide as much bottom as me or anybody could possibly want. If your Jazz was a passive I would say that the LaBellas would have a noticeably bigger bottom but you have active pickups in the Deluxe so the Chromes will be as big as you want.
    But to answer the question, if both are available I would get the LaBellas. But if the Chromes only are available I would buy them rather than wait to order Labellas. They are pretty close to each other IMO.

By the way I should explain why I was surprised at the Chromes. Generally speaking, as both a bass and guitar player, I have never been a fan of D'Addario strings. Can't tell you why exactly I just find them tonally inferior to my ears. But that's me. The Chromes are the exception.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Dave! I'll try them out..

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Flat slapping is to be avoided and I believe is actually illegal in some municipalities! I'm surprised to hear about TI Flats being recommended for slapping. Just say no. Rounds for slapping, no exceptions (more or less). On the other hand, I believe pioneers like Larry Graham may have slapped a flat here and there. To each his own...

8. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Yes, I also heard that Me'shell ndegeocello used some flats for slapping (again, this is according to bass player magazine). TI's work alright for slapping. They have a nice thick kind of sound. The pop is a little less bright than would be hoped, but all in all it isn't too bad. Anyway, if anyone else has used flats at least minimally for slapping I would be interested what brand you used and how it worked out.

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have some experience slapping flats and tapewounds, but I am not a great slapper. I slap a bit on fretless with Labella tapewounds, and they sound cool. The sound can be more like an upright slapping sound sometimes. You don't get that sizzly top end, but I like the sound.

10. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Thanks. I am a little confused about the La Bella tape wound thing. La bella makes flatwound AND tapewound strings, right? do the tape wounds have a similar sound to the flatwounds?

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    No. In my experience, tapes are quite a bit different than flats. I used LaBella tapes for a while, but I've switched back to flats. The tapes are deep and thumpy, but with a brightness flats don't have. Just a different character altogether. Actually, I like the TI Jazz Flats after a few months of break-in better than just about anything I've tried. I haven't tried Pyramids, though.

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh, I forgot. If you want to try LaBella tapewounds, get 'em from Carvin. Cheapest I've seen them.