Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tombowlus's LDS 5x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I bought that...couldn't help myself.
    The downside: it's bigger and heavier than I'd like...but...

Two jobs yesterday, both small/med venues. One electric, on DB. TFB420 power, Rev BH5 for the first one. Nice tight lows, handles the B easy. Fast and punchy. As much as I was surprised by the swr henry 8x8's ability to go low and hit hard, I was more surprised by this much smaller cab.

Second job with DB-man, this cab is awesome for DB. Rich lows, nice fast response, clear and very accurate...I did turn the mid/hi attenuator down from full to about 60% as finger/string noise was a little more prominent than I thought would be possible out of an 8" mid driver with no horn/tweet...
    I really dig this cab for DB.

Just wish it was lighter. The casters are helpful, but getting it in and out of the back of the Land Cruiser wagon I use to haul my stuff will let you know it's heavy...

2. Very cool.... sound like we all need to push Don to really get the 'light plywood/neo 8' thing going full speed ahead. I think he's well on the way there! :hyper:

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, that'd probably be a real good thing.

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    The center speaker is a co-ax tweeter correct??
    I played that cab at LDS a few times and it does give it up quite nice.
    I just got my LDS neo 212 a few weeks ago. It slams. I'll post a review in a few days.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats!

I'd love to hear a pair of LDS 3-way 2x8 (long-throw) cabs.

Wish his shop was closer to me.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    mike looking forward to your 2x12 review!

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO

It looks like just a regular ole 8" mid to me. I read somewhere there might be an internal tweeter? Whatever's going on, it does not suffer for high end response as I use it...

EDIT: From the Tombowlus: "But keep in mind, it does have a tweeter. The 8" midrange driver is coaxial, with a tweet in the center!"

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    congrats! i have an lds 4x8 cab, and i love it...nice crisp sound that really cuts through on stage. i'm with you and ken on the weight issue though...i need an ultralight version!!!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm glad you like it! I always thought that cab was a great full range cab, with killer midrange. But yes, a tad bigger and heavier than would be optimal - yet still managable, especially with the casters.

You may be able to get some neo 8" drivers from Don if you ever wanted to lighten the load...

Again, I am glad that it is going to a good home and getting some use!

Tom.