1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tomkat pedals and EQD spires fuzz.have you tried then?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Danfuzzbass, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Danfuzzbass

Danfuzzbass

Oct 29, 2014
    hi!
    looking for some info on tomkat pedals,
    have you tried them?
    if so,how do they sound on bass?
    how is the low end,build quality etc...
    i`m interested on the bender clone.
    one more question,
    has anyone tried the new earthquaker devices spires?
    any info is welcome!
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Check out excane's YouTube demos of the TomKat pedals. IMO, they sound fantastic.

EQD usually has good demos up too.

Danfuzzbass and blastbass like this.
  3. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Big up for Excane and what he does, but I find his vids absolutely useless for me because his rig sounds so much different. To really see what I mean, check out these two vids. Same pedal, hugely different sound. The first video is more like what you should expect. I wasted a lot of money on pedals by only listening to Excane's stuff when first getting into bass dirt.

4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree with this. Although I enjoy watching excane's videos i don't find them useful.

5. Danfuzzbass

Danfuzzbass

Oct 29, 2014
    yep excane demos doesnt work for me either.
    while the tomkat muffer sounds great,
    i'm looking for some infos on the tomkat bender.

6. Danfuzzbass

Danfuzzbass

Oct 29, 2014
    nobody?
    well...seems like i have to go blind on this one...

7. Sounds pretty good to me. Sometimes you just have to listen to the guitar demos and do your best to judge what it'll be like on the fat strings. What I take from all the videos of this dude's pedals - excane's included, because whether you like his style or not, you can definitely tell what low end retention and articulation are like from them - show me that he's kept bassists in mind when constructing them.

Many tonebenders work well with bass, so it wouldn't shock me if this one does too.

EDIT: Here's a random video of a random unmodded tonebender on bass, sounds pretty darn good to me.

8. Danfuzzbass

Danfuzzbass

Oct 29, 2014
    yes that guitar video is what make me gas for one of these.
    will order and report back!
    thank you!

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Excellent. If you don't end up liking it, I call dibs on the flip! ;)

10. Danfuzzbass

Danfuzzbass

Oct 29, 2014
    So my tomkat bender arrived today,and my first word is......wowww!!!
    just played for about one hour so i'm still on honeymoon feeling but so far this thing is awesome, no low end loss in every setting ,tons of gain on tap.
    i never care about how a pedal looks but this is beautiful and well made.
    the coolest feature is the internal trimpot, all the way ccw you have a smooth,creamy fuzz and cw it gets a nasty velcro type fuzz with some crazy oscillations,sounds cool but get really really noisy. even when not playing the noise sounds like a...hum... distorted hellicopter(?!)maybe work in some situations (my mastotron covers this territory better without noise)but i was looking for a more creamy fuzz so i find ccw the sweet spot for me.
    never tryed a tonebender before and i'm in love with this one, a total keeper!
    if you're looking for a new fuzz give this one a shot!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    blindrabbit likes this.
  11. Damn. I had a feeling that would be the case with it. That just formalizes its place on the GAS list.

12. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Damn, that vid of the Violet Muffer I posted to help out the OP led me to pick one up for myself! Damn this board!!!!

PWV and Tourniquet Man like this.