Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tommy Cogbill

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RP, Jul 27, 2000.

1. RP

RP

Apr 6, 2000
    I'm new to this forum but when great bassists are discussed around my circle of friends Tommy Cogbill's name is always mentioned. I'm curious if anyone out there is familiar with him and what your opinions are. If you're not familiar with him, check out his playing (especially on the fade) on Dusty Springfield's "Son Of A Preacher Man" - most of you will have it on your Pulp Fiction soundtrack. He was a Muscle Shoals/Memphis studio bassist/guitarist and was (he's passed away) phenomenal. Look into his playing on many of Aretha's and Wilson Pickett's mid 60's stuff. He was incredibly inventive and a groove monster to boot (give a listen to Pickett's "Funky Broadway") Check him out - you're in for a treat.

slagheap likes this.
  2. Hey RP.. welcome to the board.
    You are right.. Tommy Cogbill's work is tremendous. Great grooves! My introduction to him was watching Jaco's instructional video "Modern Electric Bass" where he's jamming with Jerry Jemmott, and Jaco plays the lick from "Funky Broadway" and grins and says "Tommy Cogbill, man!"
    I'm here in Atlanta too.. do you play around town at all?

slagheap likes this.
  3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >I'm new to this forum but when great bassists are discussed around my circle of friends Tommy Cogbill's name is always mentioned.

As well he should be. Tommy Cogbill, Jerry Jemmott and Duck Dunn laid down some of the best bass ever recorded. Having grown up and played during the 60-70's I couldn't help but be influenced by those three, even though I didn't know his name until much later.

Too bad Tommy has passed on. Hope his name, along with the other two I mentioned, make it to the R&RHOF very soon they certainly deserve it.

slagheap likes this.