1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tommy Shannon's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 20, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi all,

I heard SRV's 'Riviera Paradise' for the first time yesterday - a little cheesy but really nice! So what bass is being used in that song? I immediately liked the tone, and I think it's a Fender Jazz but there's so much growl. I did a search and someone thought it might be a Stingray. Did Tommy Shannon ever play a 'ray or is this definitely a Jazz? Thanks!

2. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I know he played an old jazz bass for years. I've also seen him use a P bass. Not sure what he's playing now. I would say it was the jazz bass that you heard.

Cheers,
    Jim

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I've seen him use a p a lot, but his main bass was a jazz that hendrix played on. I think he might be using a Roscoe now.

4. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    He's played a Stingray, he's played a Fodera.

Great players all play a bazillion different basses and they usually sound great on whatever they play. It doesn't matter. Everyone's making a big deal about Flea with a Jazz bass now. He sounded great on a Stingray, Wal, Alembis, P, J, Modulus. It doesn't matter what he plays. That's what you gotta shoot for.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  5. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    If Riviera Paradise is cheesey......sign me up as Czar of Cheese.

One of the nicest pieces of music I've ever heard.

gebass6 and 7dollarbologna like this.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My bet is that it's the J.

7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    it's the j - I remember seeing an article back in the day (think it was one of the SRV tribute mags) and it had an interview with TS, and he said it was his main J

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yeah but this is the tone on single slow notes (coming from the bass), it's not exactly 'Flight of the Bumble Bee'!

Well I think Tommy Shannon and Juan Nelson have changed my opinion of Fenders. I used to think the sound was too smooth (to my ears plain) but those two get some serious growl out of their jazzes! P basses though - I still associate them with punk players ripping their pickguard to shreds with a pick and getting a tone like a steel pipe to your face. I'd love to try a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5. Mmmm.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I could swore it was his P-bass.

-Mark

10. He goes into his stuff in great detail on his web site http://www.tommyshannon.com/

Lots of P basses - some he uses live, others he wont let out of the house as they are old and rare.

I don't remember seeing a J in his list, but worth a look.

11. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    There's pics of him using a J on his website....

12. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    as i understand it Tommy played his 62 jazz on that record....
    he did play a 66 p a lot too, which i've seen in several concert videos (sometimes with the old jazz on a stand in the back)....
    he also has a early-57 p and I've seen him with newer fenders and a fodera....

13. he uses a multitude of jazz's, p's, foderas, stingrays...and heaps of others....texas flood and in step were jazz bass albums, and impretty sure all the other studio albums were done on a P...mostly with flats, and he used a pick, and sometimes fingers...email tommy, ive done it before asked him about the el mocambo dvd, hes a great guy...riviera paradise is a great song, so's tin pan alley

simpy, alot has been done on a p bass with a pick...technique comes into alot, not just punk players...look at roger waters, tommy shannon, the ox etc etc..but i spose flatwounds do help

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Boy, you just hit a really sore spot!:spit:

:p

7dollarbologna likes this.
  15. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    You want to hear some great bass - buy Second Winter - Johnny Winter [IMO Winter's response to Hendrix, in that he put so much variety on 3 sides of vinyl] and he plays his ass off. This was my introduction to fat, solid bass playing that was so supportive - it really rocks. Tommy Shannon was never better.

16. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    He had an A-Bass for a while too - think he played it on the SRV's second (and last) Austin City Limits appearance. can't remember for sure...

I lived in Austin for 10 years - Tommy still lives there - while I never had the chance to meet him, I knew several people that did and they all indicated he is a great guy and very cordial.

17. damn straight....i sent him the first email when he was selling a whole heap of basses on ebay, he was such a nice guy, i thought i would of been annoying and not get a response being the overactive fan, but he gladly answered any question i had about gear, stevie and just playing in general, he even told me some stories when i didnt ask any questions, if he gets down here or i get over there id love to meet him

18. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    On a live DVD (El Mocambo if I'm correct) he uses a P. In a later instructional video (from Hotlicks) he plays a Jazz Deluxe.

19. LowDog

LowDog

Jul 6, 2005
    I know he had a custom job built. I think that is what he is using now. I do not know the maker, but I believe he is local to Austin, Tex.

20. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Great album, that and Progessive Blues Experiment are my favorite Winter albums. Shannon and Uncle John (who's also in Austin) rock as a rhythm section.