1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tommy Simms

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirkm24, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just picked up Israel Houghton's new CD and saw that a bass player by the name of Tommy Simms is on it. He played for a Christian rock band called White Heart and appeared to do some various other studio sessions here and there but I couldn't find too much on him through Google. Does anyone know of or could recommend some albums that has played on before?

New Israel CD is great BTW!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He produced and played on Michael McDonald's 'Blue Obsession' album that I really dig. He also has his own solo album. He is really respected as a producer and bassist in Nashville.
    Check out some youtube clips of Bruce Springsteen's 1992 tour and you can see him tearing it up on Bruce's material.

3. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    great player and a great person

4. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    TOTALLY got caught by the Name while looking at 15 other things at once - you want to him TOMMY check out his record PEACE AND LOVE - OMG the most slept on record of that year, 02 maybE? GRWAT GREAT GREAT record!

5. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    that record peace and love, by the way is Tommy up in front, on the side, in the background - not "sideman" stuff. You'll love it trust me!!!!!! So glad to FINALLY hear and see his name popping up!

6. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    rumor in Nashville has it that he got $1mil to do that tour. very much repsected producer here in Nashville and dude can flippin play.

7. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    He co-wrote Clapton's "Change the World"...

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  9. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    +1 on the "great bassist, great person" comment. Saw him with Whiteheart several times. Also played on Margaret Becker's "Soul", sharing bass duties with another overlooked bassist, Jimmy Lee Sloas.

10. "Peace and Love" is one of my desert island discs.

I saw Tommy last month at BB King's in Nashville and it was really something to see him do his thing live. BTW, he only played bass on two tunes and I didn't even care. (He played guitar most of the evening)

He's one of those guys that makes you forget all about gear, technique, and "my tone, man". Music just pours out of him effortlessly like a fountain. I wish I had just a little bit of what he has.

11. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks guys for the information. As I've gone back through the Israel record, I am really impressed with his playing. He isn't showy at all but he interjects the right things at the right times and has a great sense of space and groove. I really like this player a lot.

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    check out the first "Out of the Grey" record as well....He even plays a Rickenbacker on some tracks....

13. I have his solo disc. It's all over the map stylistically, but it's killin.

14. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I saw him play with them back in about '94 now that I think about it. I remember thinking man that Out of the Greay player is sick. It's all coming back now.