Tommy Stinson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scottie, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Anyone here a fan of Tommy Stinson from the Replacements? I think his 80s stuff with the "Mats" was awesome. But can you believe he went from the Replacements to Guns N Roses.... yep, he plays with the "new" GNR now.
  2. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    I like his playing especially on "Let It Be". Great Rickenbacker sound on that one too. The Replacements were one of the best bands ever.

3. And one of the worst at the same time! ;)
  4. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ever hear the Bash & Pop record with Tommy as a frontman (& playing guitar no less). It was the greatest Replacementas album they never made!
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yup! Rock at its finest.
  6. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I have to check out his work with the Replacements, but I like what he did on the new Soul Asylum disc. Any particular cuts you can recommend?
  7. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    Tommy is on the April Bass Player cover! I never thought I would see that. It took him joining GnR a decade ago for it to happen. If only as many people knew who Paul Westerberg is as know who Axl Rose is I think the world would be a better place.;) The Replacements rule!(imho)

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but at least I did a search first before I started a new thread. Right?
    OOD likes this.
  8. I saw Bash n' Pop in a small club in the early 90s. Then I saw Perfect in an even smaller club in the mid-late 90s.

All that Replacements stuff sounds like a T-Bird to me.

I've heard I had a chance to buy Tommy's old T-Bird. I didn't particularly like it- it had been refinished mint green. Back then I wasn't much of a 'Mats fan, and the bass held no attraction for me.
  9. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    I remember seeing that T-Bird on Ebay about ten years ago and wanted to buy it so bad because I'm such a Replacements geek but I had no money(like always). They said it had lead put into holes in the body to help the neck dive. I thought that was stupid but whatever. According to the article he didn't use the T-Bird with the Mats but does use a newer one now with GnR occasionally. He says the early Mats stuff is a Rick and then a Pbass with EMGs. I did not know that.
    OOD likes this.
  10. That's the bass-

I played it right after it had been refinished- and being told it was Tommy's Replacements bass was an afterthought. I want to say it was prior to 1994.

It's possible the T-Bird made it on to Pleased To Meet Me