1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tommy Stinson's thumb position on the neck. Anyone else play like this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by descendent22, Apr 21, 2018.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    E5BF7E78-4BBE-4ACE-AC8C-1667A4D98687-2248-00000221676E97DB. Notice in this picture his thumb isn't positioned at the back of the neck like it's normally supposed to be. Now usually players do is when they're way up on the high notes or last frets of the neck. I'd say right here he's playing around the 12-15 fret. Being a big fan of Stinson I notice that he plays like this a lot down the neck in the lower notes also. I ve tried it and I don't understand how he can get a stretch or a strong finger position. Does anyone else play like this ? If so how did you come to develope this way of playing at time?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have my students play songs like this from time to time to teach them that their thumbs are for stability only, not for grip strength.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I do that all if the time. The reason, at least for me, is that I have small hands and my fingers can't reach all of the frets with the palm of my hand on the neck heel. At least with bolt-ons.

4. I do this when I wear my P bass super low for rock gigs. It's easier on the wrist too. Not so great for position shifts, but for basic chugging 8th note rock bass lines its more than adequate.

Press your other forearm against the body to anchor it. You won't need anything behind the neck, except the palm to stabilise it when you jump around like a rock god.

descendent22 and lz4005 like this.
  5. Another way to learn that important fact is to try figure out how to keep playing during a bout of tendinitis (that developed unrelated to bass playing).

Your method definitely involves less pain.