Tommy Stinston Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AndyLES, Sep 20, 2016.

1. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Because we should have one, that's why.

Couldn't find any iso'd tracks, but there's this, from his side of the stage. I was at this show, too!

10cc and JMacBass65 like this.
  2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York

10cc and JMacBass65 like this.
  3. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    No love for Tommy and the Replacements?! Boooooo.....

4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Tommy is one of my idols. His post Mats stuff in the power pop vein is pretty good as well. Just wish things had worked out to be able to see them tour last couple years :(

His growly bass tone on "Alex Chilton" is a touchstone for me.

AndyLES likes this.
  5. Lots of love for TS here! He's why I own a Rickenbacker. I remember seeing the mats in Creem back in the 80s and Tommy had a Rick that he had painted lime green, it was awful, but still a Rick, and the image stuck w/ me.

Saw the mats front row/center in DC in 89 and was suitably blown away. Missed them opening for Petty as I was stuck in traffic.......

Saw them again in 91 their last tour, and then in May 2015. Great show, I'll see if I can post some short vids tomorrow.

I have seen Tommy a bunch, post 'Mats, with Bash and Pop (still an all time fave record of mine), Perfect, and solo. Always fun and unpredictable. Met and spoke with him briefly after a Bash and Pop show at the old 9:30 club in DC. Gave the bass player a demo of my bands. I swear ten years later Tommy nicked an idea from it. That opening door sound at the beginning of the song Village Gorilla Head - exactly like a track on my bands demo. Ours happened by accident when my singer walked into the vocal booth while tape was rolling, the door closed behind him exactly on beat when the song started. Happy accident, and Tommys song does exactly the same thing - 10 years later. Hmmm.....

AndyLES likes this.
  7. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I like Tommy's solo stuff too. If you're in NYC in November, he, Wayne Kramer, and a few other iconic punk vets are doing a tribute to the Heartbreakers.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021