tommy the cat ...can you play it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by temple_of_boom, Jan 31, 2006.

1. is there anyone that can play it on tb? all the good players say its not very hard but yet no one sounds even close. only les can do this? i dont think so. its alot of dead notes? anyone have correct tab for this? is there a secret to playing this song? yes
  2. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Well, it really isn't all that hard to play once you get the whole dead note deal down and his technique down a bit. No one is going to sound like Les except Les. We all can only play our own versions of the song, Les is just insanely creative(no primus bashing on me):bag:
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There was a transcription of it in Bass Guitar's first issue, I think. IIRC, it's also the first publicly available, ACCURATE tab of it. Hence, yes, a lot of people can probably play it if they had that tab.

I, however, have no interest in learning it, nor do I care enough to learn Les's technique to play this song. The technique associated with it (left handed slapping, IIRC) is more than esoteric enough that I just have no interest in it whatsoever.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've never seen a tab that quite seemed right, nor heard a recording of anyone else doing it that sounded right. I'm not sure if I've seen the Bass Guitar tab for it though.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    They had a flood of people writing in saying "Thanks for the tab, it actually sounds right when I play it now!" etc. I've never tried it, nor do I own the issue, but from those letters and the many other comments I've seen since then, I'd say it sounds more accurate than most internet tabs.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nope, never tried though.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why does everyone think this is the hardest song ever? I learned to play it, then I stopped trying to be Les Claypool.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Never tried, never cared. It's not a big request of me.
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I need to learn this before I die.
    What's the secret. How do I make these sounds with my bass?
  10. Here's a tab for a 4-string version of the main riff. This is 99% accurate. I learned the song from the official Seas of Cheese book, and made this tab from memory so it's accurate but might be a LITTLE bit off. Just the lower muted/slap notes can be played a million different ways and still sound right, so it might not be perfect but it'll still sound great.
    The only major difference is that he uses a 6 string, but I explain that later. It's exactly how I play it and it sounds fine.

Like I said, Les plays it with a 6 string, so where you play the 4th fret chord on the D and G strings, it should be a 4th higher on the G and C strings (same frets).
    If you're fast enough, you can play it correctly by moving the same chord to the 9th fret on the D and G strings, that way you play the exact same thing Les does, it's just hard to make it sound clean.
    You can make any number of variations to it once you figure it out. It's a fun tune to play and there's lots of room for small changes and funky little fills. Practice this tab, then have fun.

Like everyone else said, once you figure it out and play it once, it's like riding a bike. It's easy as hell, it just sounds hard. You just gotta have a quick thumb.
  11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i remember seeing wrong robot post a recording of him playing it, sounded pretty accurate. perhaps he can help.
  12. Dudes, it's like 4 notes w/ a bunch of ghost notes. Why are you talking about it like only god can play it? :confused:
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Scott -- in regards to your signature, waaaaaaaaaaay back there actually was a country in Europe called "Prussia" ;).
  14. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    There isn't a single completely accurate tab of it...I learned it by listening to it a few times.

It isn't really very hard; there are much harder Claypool songs: Hamburger Train, Jellikit, Prelude to Fear, the C2B3 stuff, etc.

For more of a challenge, try playing the album version without using the high C string...I have to, as i'm a 5 string player.
  15. Jellikit is easy as hell! That was one of the first Primus songs I learned to play.
    Prelude to Fear isn't Primus, it's Sausage:p :D Great song though.
    You want a hard Primus song, try "Is It Luck?" or "American Life".

And you say there isn't a single accurate tab?? Here's the most accurate tab you can get. I'm copying this straight out of the Seas of Cheese book. The only difference is that I'm writing it for a 4 string with the exact same notes just moved to the G and D strings:

That's just the main riff. There's too many fills and variations to tab them out now. When I play it, usually those low slapped notes on the E strings either sound wrong even though the official book says their right, so I sometimes just use muted notes instead.
    If that 9/9 chord is too far away for you to make the jump cleanly, just replace it with the 4th fret of G and D strings, it sounds just as good.
  16. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    My friends band opened for Holy Makerel, and we hung out back stage and Les is a jerk, wouldn't even want to learn something he did!.......
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It really isn't all that hard. As long as you are fairly quick with your thumb, it ain't bad.
  18. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    WWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT??!?!?!?!?!1111!!!!one11! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alright, this officialy goes down as the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. :hyper:

I still like Rolish more.:D
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya. I can more or less play it. I mean, no one can really cop les' style, it's too unique, but I can pound out a bastardization of it just fine.
  20. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005

A few things to say:

I know Prelude to Fear isn't primus, but I was talking about all Claypool songs.

That tab is the most accurate available, but it's still a little off. If you watch the music video, you'll see that he bounces his thumb on the E string and actually plays more notes than what's on the tab.

You're right about Is It Luck, that's damn hard.

Funny you should say that about American Life, it was one of the first Primus songs I learned how to play.

Is Jellikit really that easy? how do you play it?