Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tommy the cat is my name...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    How does Les play Tommy the Cat on Rhinoplasty compared to Sailing the seas of cheese?? I looked for a tab, but can't find the right one... He playes it on Rhinoplasty on a 4 stringer too... Anyone know how???

2. Well, I think on the chords he goes from the E/A to the Gb/Cb.

And maybe some more muted notes.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    he did it first on 'Suck on this' playing the CT 4 string.

Best version IMO... I can't listen to the 'Sailing' version

4. What? I read that he recorded Tommy the Cat (on StSoC) with a 4 string and didn't receive his 6 string until after. He said when he first got the bass, he had no idea how to play it. Also said that the 6 string is more of a gimmick and he prefers 4 strings.

5. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    I "think" I remember him saying he had some cheap korean 6-string bass to hold him over til he could taste the rainbow when CT finished it...

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ya'll are just Tom Waits hataz. I love the Cheese version. Yeah, he's most definatly using a six string fretless on that version. Definte low B action, but very sparce (therfore it's very 4 stringable, he just uses the low B for fills). I'm not sure if it was the cheapo tiding him over. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the process of recording, he finally got the rainbow bass.

Plus how can you not the little solo in the Cheese version. It's comical, yet flashy. That fill defines Primus.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Quote from Les's interview in the new BP magazine (this is a reference to when the started recording "Seas of Cheese"):

About the rainbow bass he also says that "it was always very awkward, and I always had to force myself to play it."

In the first quote he says he had a bass made and had them pull the frets out...that doesn't sound like his story of the acquisition of the rainbow bass. Then he says it's an incredible bass...and THAT doesn't sound like some cheap Korean. So the answer to your question is gravy.

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BTW - did any of you ever see that Primus performance at the whole MTV Spring Break Florida thing back in probably '92 or so? They played Jerry Was A Racecar Driver and Tommy... It was a great performance in my opinion and it was great to see a bunch of frat boys and drunks who'd probably barely/never heard of them go crazy in the audience over those two songs. I have that on tape around here somewhere. The band was in good form.

brad cook

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think I saw that Brad!

The best I saw them was either at the "Marquee" in NYC or opening for Fishbone @ Rutgers.... both in 91 - 92 or so.

They definately were still having fun back then

10. Well he did have a fretless Tune six string. So, it might have been that...

11. from reading around the net and stuff i found out he got the bass right befor he recored any thing for stsoc. in bill and ted u can see them playing tomming the cat with the tune.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My favorite bass solo (by *anyone*): short, sweet, to the point, and funny as hell. And yes, Tom Waits kicks ass.

13. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I don't know if it is the one you are looking for,but the new issue of Bass Guitar has the tab for it.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For those of you who know, is this tab right?

Code:
    C||--4------------------------------|
    G||--4------------------------------|
    D||-------------3h5---5---5---5---0-|
    A||---------------------------------|
    E||-----0-3-3-x-----5---4---3---0---|
    B||---------------------------------|

I got it from guitar pro. It sounds right, but I'm not sure.

15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think that that is right... I don't have a 6, I got a 5. But i've tried that tab playing it like

G||--9------------------------------|
    D||--9----------3h5---5---5---5---0-|
    A||---------------------------------|
    E||-----0-3-3-x-----5---4---3---0---|
    B||---------------------------------|

It's really just the same exact thing as on the 6. It sounds good. But not all the way there.

And how the hell does he play the live version!?!?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Some call it ripping peoples lines: Some call it doing a cover. Well sir, how do YOU play it?

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, as you can see, he doesn't use the B string in either of our tabs... as stated earlier, he just uses the low B for fills on the cheese version.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Nice WR.

19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Here's what I kinda got by ear...

20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    EDIT to WR's post:
    I kind of added and took away some stuff by how I thought it sounded. Not really much.