Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tommy the cat?Tab dosent seem right?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rawdogg360, Dec 31, 2005.

1. rawdogg360

rawdogg360

Dec 31, 2005
    new jersey
    Ok so I went out and bought the primus tab books..I've been playing for a while and I get around pretty well..I'm trying to learn tommy the cat and the bass tab just does not sound right compared to the song..What the hell is going on with that friggin song..Ive seen him play it live many a times and I look at the tab and its just not adding up..Its a good book but I just dont get it ..Has anyone managed to pull this song off..What am I doing wrong..Danka :bassist:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Putting this thread in the Basses forum is one thing. :)

Moved.

FWIW, I learned the song mainly by ear, off of the Suck On This cd.

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Tab books are rarely the way the artist actually plays the line live. They're just shortcuts to the same notes, they don't take technique into account.

Look online for the tommy the cat bass tab, that ones good, and it'll make you hate yourself.

4. brassed

brassed

Jan 3, 2006
    This song is mostly dead notes, the only real notes you need for the main part:
    E and F#(e string) and B and C# (a string)

I take it this is the part you mean, but good luck trying to sing "hey baby" and playing this .... I have my guitarist do that.

I have never seen a good tab for this, online or in a book, this probably has to do with the fact that he plays it differently everytime.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    IIRC, the magazine "Bass Guitar" (published by Guitar World) made a big deal out of the fact they apparently had the first accurate tab of this song. A lot of people cited this as a reason to buy the magazine, and they had letters coming in for months about it.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This probably belongs in the TAB forum....

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    He's bouncing off the G alot, with some upstrokes, some downstrokes, and a hell of alot of mutes.

-Mark