Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tommy the cat the two live versions, which one do you like better?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blazer, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay "Tommy the cat" is obviously a Primus classic which came into view thanks to the "suck on this" album on which Les Claypool let his chops loose on us using his Fretless six string Carl Thompson bass. Very groovy and virtuosic.
    [​IMG]

But on "Rhynoplasty" there's a second live version of "Tommy the cat" which sounds totally different: because Claypool plays this version on a seventies Fender Jazz bass.

So which one do I like better?

Well personally I like the one on "Rhynoplasty" better because with using a fretted bass you suddenly hear what Claypool actually plays a lot clearer. He plays the same licks as those heard on "suck on this" but because the Fender has a brighter sound you can actually make out all the notes that dissappear on his Thompson. But also because Brian "Brain" Mantina is a much tighter drummer than Tim "Herb" Alexander. And there's also the Solo in which Claypool begins to play "the awakening" By the Reddings.

So all in all I like the later version better.

which one do you prefer?

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i like the 'suck on this' version.
    something about that carl thompson rumbles my bones.

3. Actually, he plays a 4 string CT on the Suck on This version. He hadn't gotten the Rainbow yet. I do like that version, although it's sloppier and obviously different since they hadn't put it on album yet. However Rhinoplasty's version is just excellent. Les' tone is just sweet and the Awakening and everything fits really well.

4. yea, definitly the version on rhynoplasty. A lot clearer.