1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tommy the cat triplets riff

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aenigmabassist, Jul 29, 2007.

1. aenigmabassist

aenigmabassist

May 23, 2007
    Hi everybody!! Is there someone who knows how to play the tremendous triplets riff at the beginning of "tommy the cat" bass solo? I can't understand what right hand slapping technique Les Claypool uses to play that fast line...thanks a lot!:bassist:

2. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    The only thing I can think of would be like a slap pluck pluck combo using both fingers right after the initial slap. Other than that.. he's Les and can do magic on a bass lol.

3. rustinstrings

rustinstrings

Jun 17, 2007
    Disclaimer: I really like this song but could never play like it sounds.
    The "standard" fast triplet (I think it is also seen on Incubus bass player's youtube lesson) idea is 1 - right hand pluck (or pop), 2 - left hand slap, 3 - right hand slap.
    I just tried to slow down this part and it seems that a different variation exists here - the first triplet sound to start with thumb and second triplet to start with finger pop. The sound is very muffled when slowed down - muted notes start to seem like hammer on in the first triplet and pull off in the second triplet, so I leave further analysis to others.

4. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    pluck with mute and slap, combined with pluck double slap techniques

incase anyone was unsure, les is insanely fast, and has perfected the double slap pop technique, so its a place to start (along with coordinating your muting technique

5. webbyv2

webbyv2

Mar 9, 2007
    I play it like this: double thump, left hand tap, thump, muted pop, and another left hand tap then repeat. it sounds rite and this is the same method used to play the lacquer head solo. :hyper:

6. aenigmabassist

aenigmabassist

May 23, 2007
    thanx a lot...but what are the right notes? I' ve found tablatures like this....

A---------------7----------------------7--------
    E-----------7------7---------------7------7----
    B---0---5-------------5---0---5--------------5 etc....
    ___3___ __3__ ___3___ __3__ (triplets:D )

I'm not sure that those tablatures are right...Wath notes do you double thumb, mute, tap?

Tanx again!!:bassist:

7. webbyv2

webbyv2

Mar 9, 2007
    just make sure that the muted thumps are on the B string and the muted pops are on the A, D or G string, and when you ever up use the left hand tap use it to hammer on the B (7th fret) on the E string. So it goes like this: double muted thump (B string), left hand hammeron on the 7th fret (E string), muted thump (B string), muted pop on the A, D, or G string, left hand hammeron on the 7th fret (E string) then repeat. HOPE THIS HELPS! :smug:

8. aenigmabassist

aenigmabassist

May 23, 2007

Yeah!!! Great man, thanx a lot!! Rock on!!:bassist:

9. bump to subscribe, too lazy to go hit the button :D