Tommy The Cat

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by werbo, Nov 11, 2003.

1. werbo

werbo Guest

Sep 8, 2001
    kingston NY
    Can soemone please tell me how to play this...i really onle need help at the tab where it goes 5 on the d string to 5 on the E string then 4 then 3 then 0 while popping the 5 on the D. I'm not too sure about this part...thanks in advance
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    That's not it.

There's a lot more to it. I first tried to learn it via tab too.

It's not going to happen there are ghost notes all over the place and it is too complex to describe in tab.

Just fool around until you can play it. Try watching videos of Les and mimic what he is doing.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is how I play it... (4 string)

At least I think that's how I play it, I'm not good at tabbing stuff out. All sixteenth notes except the dyad at the begining and the d at the end. The only real difference in the 6 string version is the dyad at the begining, the E on the d string is played an octave higher. The rest is he does fills on the B string. Entire song is totally doable on a 4, that's how Claypool wrote it. I could tab out the rest, but, meh too much work. I think a lot of the tabs around are accurate actually. I know the guitar pro version is fairly accurate, too notey though. As you can see it's very few notes, mostly dead notes.
  4. The current edition of Bass Guitar, featuring the awful Gene Simmons on the front has a full transcription, the above versions are all wrong...not by much..but wrong all the same.
  5. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    The one in Bass Guitar went something like this:

I should have picked that up, it kept going. That slide in the beginning is

Thats all I can remember, I just play the basic riff and mess around with it.
  6. actually just go over to (power tab is a good crutch program which plays the songs in midi for you) its free too. The tab actually has a decending bass line on the E string. The whole tab is correct except some timing things that you have to listen to different versions (live and otherwise) to get good at. Also, the tab will make more sense if you watch the Tommy The Cat music video (download or DVD) cuz its a closeup of les doing it on a six string (can be transposed, it was originally done before he owned a sixer and he often plays it on a jazz bass). I assure you if you use this tab (pretty difficult) you can eventually get it good, i can do it in my sleep now, but it was the first song i slapped to, prepare for RSSyndrome :D
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use powertabs. THey saved my life. Now im spoiled and i get pissed when the song i want to learn doesnt have a powertab and i have to go back to the primitive method :meh: :D
  9. i recall there being a tab for it in my "bass guitar" magazine. ill look for it... this could take a while.
  10. The problem with all those tabs is that Tommy the Cat is mostly harmonics, not dead notes. You can hear it if you listen carefully to either the recorded or live versions, there's a lot of quiet harmonics in there. I believe that if you watch the Rhinoplasty video, you can watch Claypool do this absurd jump halfway up the neck to hit a couple harmonics at one point. I'ts been a while since I've seen that video, though, so don't count on my memory being accurate. It's certainly not as simple as those tabs would have you believe, or I'd already know how to play it and sound like Claypool.
  11. ok, this is from my bass guitar magazine

attached file. cant get it to paste right otherwise

pm me if u want me to tab out everything. it might take me a while tho. i only did the first verse
  12. hope this isn't too much of a departure from the topic at hand; but I just got this email from the prawn song mailing list:

More Tour de Fromage Shows Planned

We are happy to announce that Primus will be extending the Tour de Fromage into 2004 with dates in the South and South East in late February and early March. Stay tuned to the Primus site for details.

I drove up to columbus last time to see them and man was it worth it.
  13. I've been playing this song for a while, first with the Suck on This and then the Sailing the Seas version. There are no harmonics. That flying hand thing les did was just a flashy mute after he struck the last double-stop.

All of those little noises you hear are just from the slapping of the E string (right before the slap-hammer-on on the dstring he does a very fast quadruplet slap 033x on the e string and his thumb hitting the string (as in all slapping) creates the high pitched overtone...I can match the sailing tone with my hartke amp if i contour to higher pitches. It sounds like harmonics but it isnt, it just happens if you slap head on like he does, unless your stroking the string i dont see how you wouldnt get that sound when slapping)...woops forgot to close brackets. Trust me, this one is pretty he does some timing changes with the riff (well, not timing changes, but he puts more emphasis on certain notes and tends to deaden some, but its preference really...the song can sound 100 different ways..up to you), and during the tommy verse he mutes with his palm a bit to quiet down.

Heres where you get the powertab version. Also go to the downloads section (or to to download the free small software to read it and play it (it plays in midi :D, will sound as good as your sound card will let it (you can change midi settings inside the program)):,2511

They have thousands of great tabs, and reliable ratings. Prob better prog than even the costly guitar pro, but less instruments and delayed 2.0 release due to being freeware...still great resource!