Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tommy the cat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Mar 4, 2004.

1. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    What effects was Les using in that song, | know he used a fretless, but was he using a wah, or autowah ?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    uhh.....fretless? no? he didnt slap on a freltess did he?

3. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    He used his Rainbow Bass and I dont think he used any effects for the song. During the "Break down" he's just finger tapping and sliding (if thats what your talking about). What part are you refering to?

4. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    the main riff, ...all of the song it has kindof a 'slurpy' sound.

and yes he slaps on the frteless.

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I just listened to the song and watched the video and its just how the bass sounds. Its the rainbow bass into a Tube amp.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    There are 2 different versions, no?
    I forget if the version on Seas of Cheese is the same as Suck on This? It's also on Rhinoplasty (live).
    I've seen him play it on his 4-string Jazz bass live, but that Rainbow bass is something else.

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure if they are the same, but I'm pretty sure Orchid is talking about the Sailing the Sea of Cheese version. I too have seen him with the jazz and it sounds pretty different to my ears. I, Personally, like the Rainbow bass better for that song.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just remembered in their new dvd he's playing it super jazzy style on an upright too - The slap part comes up and he actually tries slapping the upright, but it wasn't really working out. He stops and says something funny like 'it just wasn't meant to be I guess'. Classic!

9. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    | wasnt aware there was two versions but, yes. | am referrring to the one on Seas of Chees.

10. Carl delivered the Rainbow bass shortly before the Seas of Cheese sessions. Les said that he was completely intimidated by the 36" scale and the enormity of the whole thing. He also said that he played a great majority of Cheese with it, just to prove to himself that he could. Tommy on Cheese was done with the Rainbow, and that slurpy sound is from the combination of speed, slapping on fretless, and the overall tone of all the different woods used. Plus, wood bridges and wood nuts with no frets takes all the brightness away.

Suck on This was made before Cheese, so he didn't have the Rainbow yet. I'm pretty sure that he used his fretted Carl Thompson w/ a tremolo for that. I'm also not sure if the tremolo was installed by that time or if he had it installed later.

On Rhinoplasty, if I remember correctly, Les has a bass solo where he kicks in a distortion.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I must look really green to you, buddy...They're always after me Lucky Charms...

Great DVD. So much great material on there.

12. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    What is a tremolo ? an effect of some sort ?

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Whammy Bar :bassist:

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Les's first CT 4-string, with whammy (the piccolo bass)
    [​IMG] Can't really see the whammy on that one though:(

les's other whammy bass, also a 4-string CT...bass is covered with a 1/8" layer of Madagascar Ebony, and has 24 frets, 2 pickups, 36" scale. If you get the mpg of them playing Lacquerhead on Farm Club, he's using this one and does some whammy stuff.

[​IMG]

oh yeah, and Les ran the bass into a modified ADA preamp and thence into his amps.

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You are on the ball sir - nice influences ;)

16. Great post! God I love those CT basses....

Not sure if it was made clear earlier or not, but I will lay it out as I know it, and some one please chime in if I mess up. Les did use his four string tremolo on Suck On This, because at the time, that was the only Carl Thompson bass he had-I dont think he got his other four string until later, but I might have that wrong. On the live version featured on Rhinoplasty he is using a Fender American Deluxe(?) Jazz. I know he uses a Jazz bass on that album I am just not too sure if he uses it on the whole album or just some of it. I mean if you think about it, it would make sense for it to be the jazz on that version because he throws 'the awakening' in there as a solo and he always uses a four string when he plays that.

I always liked the four string version found on Rhinoplasty more than the six string version on Seas of Cheese for whatever it is worth.

If any or all of this is wrong... uh... yeah.... correct me :smug:

17. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    He played it on a 6-string fretless, They Transcribed it in Bass Guitar Mag, no mention of effects!

Take care
    TM

18. On rainbow sixer fretless. He played it on a jazz on suck on this and i believe he also uses a jazz onthe rhinoplasty version. Live (except the recent cheese tour) he usually uses the 4 string jazz (which he originally wrote it on) which gives it a slightly different feel than the 6. He changes up the tempo de[ending on the bass. Great song!

19. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yep. Think the jazzes he uses are both 70s ones, they have block inlays. The Awakening is cool:)

20. But its not his. its a cover