Tommy the cat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by crizz, Jun 9, 2001.

1. crizz

Jun 9, 2001
    fellas, can anyone play the primus song "tommy the cat". this song made me pick up bass playing back in the day,however i cant seem to learn it right. can anyone play this song correctly? i bought the long awaited primus tab books, and tommy is wrong -its the same tab printed in "guitar world" circa 1992. in truth i have never had this much trouble learning a song. so if anyone can play this song right or is down to brainstorm about it i look forward to your posts.
  2. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Good luck Crizz, that song is hecka hard to play. But try the tabs at bass tabs dot net.
  3. crizz

Jun 9, 2001
    thanks man, but thats pretty much the tab im talking about. its all wrong. i dont know what the fella who tabed it was thinking, you can listen to the song and clearly hear there are only four "pops"
    (or four pops and a harmonic).come on fellas some one out there has to know how to play the main riff?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tommy the Cat...what a peice of work that is! I WISH I could muster the gumption required to play that...sheesh...
  5. and if you wanna play it "correctly" you need a fretless 6-er
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And no conception of intonation whatsoever!
  7. gotta give claypool a bit of a break, didnt he just get the bass when he recorded Sea's of Cheese? And i recall that he'd never played a fretless 6 before it, or even a fretless as a main bass. admit it, he did a good job for not playing a 6-er or fretless at all, then adapting it pretty quickly
  8. Les plays this song as well on a 4 than a 6 strings. You need to have a very good hand to play this one. I saw him play live, here is how he did, on a 4 strings

slap the e string 0-3xxxx 55 43
    pop on a string 3h5(finger 1-3)5 5 0 2(flamenco this one)

i may have forgot two or three note, but this is basically how he do it on a 4. Very hard song, not for beginners.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Oh come on! Listen to that tune...what in the hell does Les have to intonate against? Ler is making all kinds of atonal noise, Herb is pounding his guts out....Les IS setting the key for any intonation that might happen. But, whoever said you can play this on a 4 string is only correct up to a certain point. There are parts that are below E if you play the original "Seas Of Cheese" version. If you check out the video of the song, there are some pretty good close up shots of Les doing gave me some pretty valuable clues when I learned it.
    This is THE Primus piece, IMO.

...and you show me ANYBODY that can tab that song accurately, and I'll never again say that tab is worthless.
  10. crizz

Jun 9, 2001
    first of all u dont need a fretless six string to play this song correctly.
    ibanizian, im messing with your tab here-thanks
    does it sound right when you play it?

mcchildree, can you play it? if so tab it out for me partner.
  11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I learned it years ago when it first came out, but I don't think I had it 100% right. Even if I did, I couldn't tab it out...I don't use tab, so I wouldn't know how to get all the little nuances in there that separate the "men from the boys", so to speak. I've heard lots of people screwing around with this, but I don't think anyone I've heard has nailed it.
  12. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i thought the book had it really good (the best ives seen). but i made a few changes after seeing him play it. in the book it says there are 2 notes played forth fret on the G and C string (im not gonna say notes just incase you dont know them well(no offense if you do) but play those 2 notes on D and G, and flamenco them. and then theres the stuff on E and then the slide on D. after that the book says to slap 5 on E and 5 on D, 4 on E 5 on D and then 3 on E and 5 on D, then open E and open A. if you learn to play the part before the slap pop thing like really good (im pretty sure the first half of the riff is right) then start playing along with the cd and only do the pops or slaps of thats second part and then try both when you get it down.

i tried that forever and i think ill have it after more practice (i know the notes im playing arnt 100% right, but if i wrote down in notation what i was gonna play itd be almost right)
  13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    BTW, the open strum of each phrase is on the G and C (an A and D, respectively), and the chromatic walking he does every once in a while is on the B and E. But live, he brings the former down a string, to the D and G (E and A, respectively), and the chromatic walking to the E and A. Other than that, it's for the most part the same.

That, and he cuts out the solo.

Mike, yeah, I see your point, and it's well taken, but I'm referring to his use of it live. I've heard some tracks that were bootlegged of him using it live...its pretty bloody.
  14. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

It took me a long time to learn the song ... and now I can't stand playing it to tell the truth .. takes too much effort .. lol
  15. I personnalyt think the best way to learn this song is to buy videoplasrty and watch again and again how Les play. Well, this is how i learned this one, the best one of primus, and also the toughest to play
  16. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Damn, Les kicks an ass or two. Everytime I listen to that song, I'm still in awe. But yeah, it can be played on a 4 string, if you play the "Suck on this" version. I don't know what he's using on the live Rhinoplasty CD. But I'd love someone to reproduce that crazy solo he does before les starts singing again.

"Say baby do you wanna lay down with me?"