Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tommy the cat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JOhnk, Dec 14, 2001.

1. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    howdy. i've been attempting to learn tommy the cat for a considerable time, now, but i'm having no luck. I've found several tabs for it (http://www.ram.org/music/primus/tabs/primus_tabs.html), but I can't seem to see how the given notes correspond to the music. In other words, i don't know what I'm doing. Can anyone give me a hint as to what to do? I'm particularly concerned with the main riff in the beginning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I love you all. except for you.

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Well this is obviously not a song youll learn fast, but Ill put in something:

I will be referring to the notes as A, Bb, C# etc

Look on the tab you linked, see the second measure of that main riff? that is the main thing played. When you strum the F# and C# to where you play an F and hammer on to G is the main riff part you when you listen to it, the rythem for that part is something like this, one eighth note, four sixteenth notes, two eighth notes.

Now looking that those last eight notes. Those are all sixteenth notes, they correspond with Herb's sixteenth kicker notes you playing through parts of the song, just play those at the same time as the bass drum when you get there.

Try that.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you buy the sheetmusic for it, there will be no problem, as the correct notes and rhythms will be included.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Does anyone make a book, of Primus notations? That would be nice to have the real sheet music, instead of tabs.

5. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    thanks for setting down the rythyms for me. it puts it in a better perspective. Buying the sheet music never occured to me, but i remember hearing about that complete primus bass book sometime long ago... i'll look for it on ebay.

thanks for the aid..

6. i can't believe people are still asking how to play this song.
    i gave up months ago. i just can't get the rythym down. i can't "hear" it in the song well enough to emulate it.

Code:
    --4-----------------------|
    *-4---------3h5--5-5-5-0-*|
    *------------------------*|
    ----0h3-x-x-----5-4-3-0---|

can anyone ante up a little more info? i feel like there's some small bit that i'm not understanding that's totally throwing me off. maybe it's just my lack ofknowledge in counting, eigth notes versus sixteenth notes and all that.

7. I don't know which version you guys are listening to but if you have troble hearing the bass line, get the rhinopasty version (i think thats how you spell it) he does the riff 4 or so times at the beginning. I think he throws in a crap load of mutes in this version which aren't on the tab, but any way The flamingo technique he uses means he strums down then up. That may help but probably won't.

8. Does that Primus book include standard notation? If so, I may have to check it out. I'm only good with simple, straight-forward rhythms with tab; I prefer to read music.

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yup its got the standard notation part then below it its got tab.

10. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    its real easy once you get the hang of it.the key to playing it is perfectly timed muted notes.this is my feeble atempt at writing tab.

tommy the cat tab:

4 p
    g---------------p--p---------------------
    2 tt t 35h5 tt tt
    d--------------------------------------

a--------------------------------------

e--------------------------------------
    the 4 and the2 are strumed together
    p= muted pop
    t= muted slap
    that first 5 is hamered on(hence the "h" after it)
    thats the main riff just keep repeating it. have fun;) :) ;) :cool:

11. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Well obviously Les throws in alot of variations and changes, he is known for that. But to whoever said i gave up months ago, I am ashamed of you, know one in this forum should give up on something becasue it is too hard. I tried portrait of Tracy by Jaco a few montsh ago and then i was like this is really tough stuff to learn. I put it aside and then a few weeks ago i picked it up and practice it for a while and got it. I got the whole song. I was pretty happy, same thing goes for some of his other stuff like teen town, Im still working on that though, but tommy the cat i have it down, well the basic line, I throw in alot of variations cause well so does Les, but anyways, here's some advice: on the Beginning part you will ave to use double slaps, or Victor Wooten slap style, the double thumb thing, trust me it works for me and makes the rest of the song alot easier on your hands casue of the nonstop slapping he does. Im not saying i can play the whole song or even the right way but im trying to givey ou advice on playing it once you get the basic rythym dowm. I get confused with the rythym alot too. jsut my two cents.

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    that tab didnt come out the way i wanted it to.
    lets try this
    tommy the cat tab:

4 p
    g------------- p-- p---------------------
    2 tt t 35h5 tt tt
    d--------------------------------------

a--------------------------------------

e--------------------------------------
    the 4 and the2 are strumed together
    p= muted pop
    t= muted slap
    that first 5 is hamered on(hence the "h" after it)
    thats the main riff just keep repeating it.

13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    still didnt work oh well hope it still helps;)

14. i figured out what i was doing wrong, i was playing the 16th notes too slowly :) i picked up the primus book and worked on it for a while then it hit me to speed up the second part of the riff and it started to fill in a bit better. i'm gonna keep working with it though. it's mainly speed, i didn't hear the notes being played that fast cos of the double bass drum, but now i think i've got it.

15. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    after a week, the little boy what is me has accomplished his goal. Already having that whole double-slap deal down helped alot.. as did listening to the riff on a continuous loop for 10 minutes.

I have rhinoplasty already, but I think Les plays a completely different riff there. Maybe in the same rythym, but it definitely sounds higher to me.

also; has anybody else seen the video for this song? It's a great video, but I still like Wynona's Big Brown Beaver the best.