Tomorrow I join the Stingray 5 club!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reasonbass, Sep 22, 2005.

1. This morning I messaged our very own NickMan. I asked him if there were any Stingray 5's at the GC where he worked. He told me there was a black and maple one there. So I drove past all the crappy Miami drivers and made it there in one piece. So I get there and he hands it to me and lets me play it for a while. It played like butta, and the sound was growly yet punchy. Sort of modern but old school sounding at the same time. I plugged in to an Ampeg B100r and it sounded and played amazing. I have only played a couple other basses that gave me that feeling. So I put a deposit on it today and Im gonna go pick it up tomorrow, so I can gig with it on saturday.

So now my stage rig will be : Stingray 5 + Mesa 400+ + Ampeg 8x10 = :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :hyper: :hyper:

Pics will up soon with review.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Excellent, i have a sterling thats black/black/maple, and they have same electronics as the sr5, (if you didnt know that) so i know what youre getting ;) Congrats.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This thread got me thinking about how long I've owned my SR5. I honestly couldn't remember, though it only feels like yesterday. Surely it's no older than a year old, 1.5 tops....... so I went looking for the reciept. Imagine my surprise when the reciept revealed I've owned that bass for 3.5 years.

Time flies when you're having fun. I'm in no way close to getting sick of this bass yet. It's so versatile and responsive that it's a joy to play! Good choice Reasonbass!
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've had Heinz the Wonder Bass since January of 2000, although he did take a little trip a while back.

Stingray 5s just rock, don't they?

And guess what? The two pickup models are coming.

And guess what else?

They rock even more.

5. weeding

May 17, 2005
    EB 5 strings have possibly the nicest 5th string ever to play, beautifuuly set tension
  6. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Stingray 5 + Mesa 400+ + Ampeg 8x10

Man. it'll sound great, I just hope you have a strong back. That setup is gonna be a workout!
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Love that black and maple combo! :bassist:

8. Congrats. You will like it a lot. I played a black/maple 4 string through the late 70's to early 80's, and a black/maple 5 string for a significant part of the 90's. The only reason I don't still have that 5 was the relatively tight string spacing at the bridge... but that's pure personal preference. They are great basses, built like tanks, and they sound great! Have fun with it!
  9. Damn, I miss my honeyburst/black/rosewood SR5! :bawl:
  10. Well, today is the big day. Im gonna go shower and head out. You know I never gave them a chance because they had only one pup. But everytime I heard someone play them they just sounded so good. The one Im getting. When I played it it had dead strings on it too, but it still sounded good. Also it was really easy to play, like the bass made me seem like I was a better player.
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    EB puts good ol' Super Slinkies #2834 (45-100) on them if you're planning on replacing the strings with the same kind.
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh, it's a 5. That would be #2836
  13. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That's a superb instrument you're getting. Congratulations! I've had one since 1994, and I love it. If you're accepting recommendations for strings, I'd recommend the GHS Boomers set: 45-65-85-105-130.
    And you shouldn't worry about the fact that there's only one pickup. That's all you need with this preamp, IMO. I haven't played the 2-pickup model, but it's hard for me to imagine how that will be an improvement. There is MORE than enough low end on the one you're getting, trust me. I like low end, and I usually find that if I have the bass knob more than about a quarter-turn up from flat, it's TOO boomy. But that's just me, etc.
    Anyway, have fun!
  14. Im back and brought it home with me. I finally stopped playing so I can post the " its not real untill you show us a pic" picture. Sorry about the crappy quality, its a cellphone cam.

I haven't played it with my rig, thats later on tonight. I've only been playing it thru a crappy fender 15" combo....still sounds good though. I'm happy Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, you even got the right color combo. Shweet bass, man. If they made a wider nut, I'd be all over one. Hell, I'm thinking about getting one, and having a custom neck made for it, anyway. Love me some Stingray.
  16. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Sweet SR5 you have there. Not at all hard to fall in love with one of them.

17. Excellent choice my man.....enjoy that baby. more thing......never ever ever think about selling it for some other "new thing". I almost made that mistake and that would have been TRAGIC.
  18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How do you like that EQ?

It's what sold me to Rays.
  19. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome reasonbass,
    you're gonna love it. Some basses were just meant for certain amps. All tube through an Ampeg... yeah, that's the one i'm talkin' about. The B100R is perfect as well.
    Enjoy, I don't see how you won't.
  20. The EQ is pretty sweet, very versatile. But what sold me was the playability and they way it felt on my hands. It just makes me play anything without so much effort. The neck is smooth and easy to move around and the action is perfect. No buzzes anywehere. And thats after surviving god knows how long at GC :ninja: