Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tomorrow is my 46th b-day and I am thinking about treating myself

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjclem, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am playing through a backline 112 and there are times I need a bit more power. I also have a 30 year old Combo 300 with the BW but 85lbs is not something I want to move around. I have one of the Hartke 1400 heads too. I have never used it. I think I will put the hartke and the GK up on e-bay and buy a new combo. I just got a $75 off coupon for the local Sam Ash in Orlando What sould I get? The GK weighs about 45lbs. I know I have to go heavier but I don't want to go too heavy. I need it to have a line out to the pa system too. Any ideas would be great.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/searc...hrase=&DepartmentID=2&SortMethod=6&pagesize=0

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How much money are you going to put into it?

What kind of tone do you like?

3. go for a peavey 115 combo or a 212 combo. they arent that heavy but would be louder.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You might want to check out the ibanez SW100.

I played on a sw60 for a pep band game. I was up against the rest of the band about 60 members total and I was thumping like no bodys buisness! I think they are cool little amps and as loud as that sw60 is I can't imagine how loud the sw100 is.

Not to mention the sw100 weighs like 60 some pounds?

They have lots of features as well, the sw100 has an extension speaker jack on that back of it too.

-Rob

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You could always go with a separate head and small cab. It would be cheaper/ weigh less, and be more flexible. Just my two pennies. :cool:

6. At your advanced age, retirement may be your best option! :D

7. you could buy a small 115 cab or two and buy a used head on ebay

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey!!!.....I resemble that remark. :D ;) :cool:

9. If I'm not up at midnight, please have a happy birthday anyway. Old guy(I'm only a spry 41 myself, so I can say that ;) ). Now go get yourself a nice Eden rig.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I am old, not dead :spit: No retirement. :D I would like to stay under $600 I play mostly country fretted and fretless. It needs to handle a 5 string. What about the SWR working man's 15?

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    SWR Workingman 15 didn't do it for me in a live setting. It got lost in the mix no matter how I EQ'ed it. It might work well for country music, though. It sounded real good when the guitars were clean and bright. As soon as they dialed in heavy sounds, poof, bass mud. The DI didn't have a pre/post switch. That pissed me off because the amp sounded good and I wanted that sound through the PA w/o using a mic. SWR support said a modification adding a switch should be relatively easy.

12. Now go get yourself a nice Eden rig.

Eden's are nice but the cabs are kinda heavy.

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    ewww

:bag:

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Forget the combos; check out Avatar's Ashdown + cab deals -- Mag 300H head + either an Avatar B212 Delta LF or B210 Kappa Pro cab -- $580 to $590.

BTW, Happy 'B'day! :)

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    they don't carry ashdown :(

16. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. Tempting to go to bass central but $$ YOW

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Roland Cube 100 or SWR Workingman's 12.

[But I would forget Sam Ash and get the Avatar/Ashdown system above -- it would kill anything you could get for $675 from SA.]

18. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas