Ton of noob questions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joey3313, May 14, 2004.

1. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Okay, I'm still a big noob at bass, so I was hoping that these could be answered for me.
    What is slapping exactly? Who slaps? Why do people slap? How do you slap?

Thank you.
  2. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    He said noob. :p

Regarding your question about "slapping".

I've recently learned that the only appropriate response is that you should be instructed to use the search function as these rudimentary topics have often been discussed at very deep and profoundly meaningful levels that could not be replicated. Also because everyone is too lazy to keep answering the same basic questions over and over again. However it's interesting to witness how no one ever gets bored telling others to use the search function. Nope - that's obviously still very cool.

Also, if your into the masochism thing at all - spend a good hour or two reading all the moderators "stickies" at the top of all the forums. Thank you sir may I have another!! :D My prediction? PAIN!
  3. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Wow...this was so helpful.
  4. Slapping is a percussive way of playing the bass using your right hand thumb to smack the strings. It gives, obviously, a percussive sound, with a lot of attack and bite. Many modern bassists slap, such as Flea, Les Claypool, Tim Commerford, etc. Listen to Higher Ground from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The intro is simple slapping and popping.
  5. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Tell a poster to use the search function and he finds his own answers and stuff?

I don't know bro. OH the pressure - I can't take it anymore! :bawl:
  6. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    :spit: That's hilarious. Search function is harped upon so many times it seems anyone that reads even 5 minutes into a board gets the "use search." I mean, there is a how to slap post every freaking day, how hard is it to read than just blast a 3 word new message? Apparently pretty hard.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Easy, Angry-Betty.

From what jenderfazz said -- check out Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back for some nice slapping from Tim Commerford. Les Claypool plays for Primus, for some slap try out To Defy the Laws of Tradition. For another Chilis song with slapping, the verse to Aeroplane is all slap. Very cool sounding, and to mix it up a bit, it's got a bunch of muted slaps.

If you're not into that kind of stuff, Marcus Miller is a bit more of an R&B/jazz/hip hop kind of guy that does some phenomenal slap. There's also a variation of normal slap done by Victor Wooten called double thumbing that's also interesting to hear (Me and My Bass Guitar). Finally, I would highly reccomend Stanley Clarke - Silly Putty for those new to listening to slap. Awesome song, killer slap intro.