Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tonal Changes in Bergantino Line???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

a little while back, i was visiting a local shop to try some bergantino cabs, namely the silver grill'd HT210, and is it just me, or has the sound changed? that glossy, glassy, syrupy tone isnt there anymore. sounds a bit more brown and meatie, closer to the newer shallow 2x10.

not a bad change, but truth be told, i loved that tone. not that the new tone is bad or anything, but just wanted to know if my ears were playing tricks on me.

also, i noticed the old 2x10 isnt on the website anymore!

and, anyone else miss the old silver grills? the black on black is cool, but i loved the green script logo against the silver. *shrug*

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not sure about the sound difference but Berg seems to be going into a different direction with his cabs. I'm curious to see what's coming next as I know there are some things on the horizon. No idea what but I've been told to keep an eye out. I'm actually not finding a cab in his line that works for me right now but I'm hoping something will come out in the future because I love the sound of Jim's cabs so much.

3. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I miss 'em. Black-on-black gets kinda blah-on-blah after a while. I love the Bag End "Deep Red" look, as it kind of broke out of that mold.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I was looking at the website the other day and noticed that the HT115 is also no longer listed.

If Jim's changing the sound of his products, I'm sure the end result will be great. But I can't imagine a better sound than the one I'm already enjoying.

My wife bought my HT210 & HT115 cabs before last Christmas. I'm glad she didn't wait.

BTW, both have chrome grills.

- Art

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I resisted liking the chrome grill as it reminded me of SWR. But that all changed when I got my pair of 112's.

I've thought for several years that the HT310 was Jim's best speaker cabinet and was shocked when it was discontinued.

I'm hoping that the tone isn't changing too much but can't imagine anything even remotely bad from Mr. Bergantino.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I spoke with Jim last week, and he did confirm that both the HT115 and the HT210 are now discontinued.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I also prefer the chrome grills. Tonally, I suspect Jim has some way cool stuff coming! :)

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dunno it might be your ears playing tricks on you. ;) I bought my HT210 about a year and a half ago and with my amp it sounds just like the new one at the store. He has a pretty quick turnover at his store so it should be a cab that has been built recently as opposed to one thats been sitting there for a year. Yeah I didnt like the chrome until I saw the black grilles. I like chrome better.