1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tonal difference between 4x10 and 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TerrorRhythm, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just wanted to see what other people knew about this.

From what I've gathered, the fifteen inch speaker, with it's larger surface area, sends out a fuller array of your lowest overtones, and lets them spread farther across the room, while the 4x10 cab sends more focused highs and mids.

Then again, this is what I've heard from the guy at GC, so who knows.

Any input appreciated.

2. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    What you hear depends on the speakers and the cabinets. Some 4-10 cabs get pretty deep and some 15 cabs throw mids pretty well. I prefer 4-10s usually, because the seem tighter sounding to me. My LDS 4-10 will definitely shake some booty.

3. jwstoker

jwstoker

Nov 30, 2007
    the Netherlands
    I use an Eden XLT4*10 with a MK500.
    This rig is blowing out the windows of out church when I should turn up the bass too much:bassist:
    In my situation I do not need a 1*15, but maybe at larger stages you might. I have not had the opportunity to test that. But I'm convinced that it is the task of the PA to fill the place and not the task of your rig.
    Our rule: volumes on stage as low as possible; the PA does the rest.

4. It depends on which cabs you're talking about. My 1x15 is very middy growly.

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

To be fair we have to include the cabinets and speaker mfg

6. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    There's been a billion threads on this, but the consensus from the people who know what they're talking about is that the sound (= frequency response) is affected by so many things other than size that you can't say generally what a 115 or 410 will sound like. However sound dispersion is affected by speaker size.

Why not just go out and test the cabs rather than worry about the speaker size? :)

7. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    It is very difficult to really test a cab in a shop here or I imagine anywhere else. Playing bass at a minimal volume, alone, in a place that has nothing in common with gigging or rehearsal contexts does not give an accurate impression of the sound.
    It is not always possible to rent the equipment you are considering buying and shops do not want to risk having a cab get any blemishes from transport so borrowing/renting the cab you are considering buying from the shop is not really possible either.

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I sold my 1x15 because the band complained it sounded two muddy. They want more treble from me, I prefer a smoother bassey sound which is why I use flats. Now playing thru two 2x10's, I get both the punch and treble of the 10's and when pushed, I get the growl of a 15.

9. Pretty much untrue. There is just as much variation within speaker sizes as across. Very deep, wide, 410's like the Acme or Epifani, VERY tight punchy, grindy 115's like the Schroeder, and everything in between. Better to listen to the cab and pretty much ignore driver size as a primary purchase decision criterion.

It's all about box size, tuning, and the specific design goals of the specific driver.

10. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    my stack is a 4x10 cab and a 1 x 15 cab. both the same manufacturer. It just pretty much allots for a wider spectrum of frequencies hitting a peak. my 15 happens to drop a lot lower than my 10s, though I would say 99% of what i play, comes out at the frequencies range that falls within the 10s capabilities. however I know some 12" subs that can hit 15HZ and some 18" who can barely drop to 25Hz so manufacturer plays a big role in that. If i was using 1 cab I take the 4 x 10 however using 2 the comco gives a nice all over sound to it. I dont like the 1 x 15 by itself personally

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    :rollno:
    As often as not exactly the opposite is the case.
    +1. Driver size is only one of over a dozen factors that influence how a cab sounds/works, and it's one of the least significant factors at that.

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1 to all of the above that says speaker size doesn't matter. All cabs are tuned differently and all speakers are designed differently.

13. Interesting. The reason I ask is because my current rig includes a 4x10 over a 1x15 and when I turn up to a volume that seems reasonable, my guitarist complains that he can't hear himself, even though I can hear him fine from where I stand, on the opposite side of the drums in our practice space (which is a ****** basement with bare concrete walls). So I was wondering if the acoustics were more affected by the wider array of soundwaves coming from the bottom cab which could be reverberating off the wall behind him and making it louder on that side of the room.

Then again he is ex-military so it could just be that his hearing is going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.