Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tonal difference between a thumb and a streamer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funktastic, Oct 30, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    I have been GASing for a warwick really bad for a while now, and i have limited my choices down to either a streamer or a thumb. The streamer is a stage II series with the standard pickup configuration and everything, and the thumb is a B/O with the normal setup. The music i play is generally rock/primus/funk stuff and what have you. Besides price, what are some of the big differences between the two tonally? thanks :help:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I find Streamers to have a much more "cultured" tone. Thats not to say that the Thumb sounds bad, oh no, not at all...

The thumb growls with a lot more low-mids, and has a harsher, slight brighter tone. I'm more familiar with the Stage one, which sounds a lot creamier than the thumb...

The Stage II growls (as is customary ;) ) but it still soubnds less agressive and more "smooth" than the Thumb, both BO and NT versions...

Well, at least, thats what it seems like to me...

3. streamers are a little more traditional in sound, smoother and less aggressive than a thumb somewhere in between a jazz/p-bass and a thumb obviously with a bias towards the warwick sound. :bassist: