1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tonal difference between the Berg AE112 and AE210 and HT112ER and Acoustic Image spkr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jibreel, May 4, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I know there is tons of info on these cabs here is this forum for these cabs. I have read through a lot of the threads.

I just got a TC classic 450 and a Bergantino AE112. I have been doing a lot of A/B ing with my Acoustic Image system. Both amazing of course.

The TC and Berg both bring more to the party, but that includes their own coloration.

There is something about the AI 10's that I really like. And yet the Berg is so clear and dynamic but there is a little coloring there that I wish was not there.

So I am wondering, would the Berg 10's be what I am looking for? Am I missing that 10" punch. I have read that the HT is fuller than the AE. Could that be a factor?

Anyone else able to A/B the Berg and AI speakers?

What other high end cabinets are close in sound to the acoustic image cabinets?

Thanks much.

2. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Bump

3. I think AI sells many more heads than speakers, so probably not many who have experience with all the cabs you are mentioning.

I have heard the original down firing AI speaker with the front pointing mid driver, but have not heard the newer designs. That original design was not my thing, but if that's the one you are talking about, it had a very different tone than the typical two way with tweeter tone of the Bergs you are considering. One of the 12/6 fEarful type boxes would probably be closer (although much louder and much more even and punchy). That organic top end of the mid driver loaded cabs, combined with the big low end extention of those extreme hi xmax subwoofer type drivers really results in a unique tone.

If you go to my iComposition site (listed as my homepage in my profile) there is a clip of a 12/6 (no tweeter)... that might give you an idea of the general tone. Lot's of clips of the AE410 also, which is in the general tone universe of the AE210 and AE112... bright upper mids, tight low end... mid punchy and aggressive.

I have not heard the HT112ER, but based on my experience with the original HT112, among the Berg cabs, either that or the HS210 would be more along the vibe of the warmer, organic AI cabs (again, at least the original ones).

Not really the direct, exact comparison you were asking for, but it's something:D

4. The AEs are damn nice cabs, but there is a slight aggression in the mids (whether this is colour im not sure).

The HT112ER is a little flatter and fuller, and very deep in terms of bass. I did tons of research and in the end went for neither due to the price rise over here, unfortunately.

5. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks all. I REALLY appreciate your input and knowledge !!!!