Tonal difference between the SVT-IIP and the SVP-PRO - is it apparent?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by illidian, Aug 16, 2004.

1. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    See threat title.

I'm wondering if the tonal differences between the SVT-IIP and the SVP-PRO are apparent at all. I was also wondering if there is a tonal difference between the older (blackface) SVPs and the newer (greyface) SVPs.

This is really nagging at me, and I liked the tone of the SVP-PRO a lot. It was a newer greyface model, but if the older SVT-IIP has more of a mid-punch to it, I'd like to know.

Yea, I'm still working on getting my rig. Slow decisions followed by long waits, then followed by unanswered questions. Wish I would've looked into this months ago!

Thanks for your input,
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm sure some people will have opinions on this, but also try PMing Ampeg Insider, if he doesn't see this thread, he works there.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yea, I hope so.

Currently, I'm thinking that the black and greyface models are 100% the same, except for the greyface that fits all of the newer ampeg amps. It was just a cosmetic change, so it fit with the rest of them.

However, the SVT-IIP, I'll bet, is probably different. When they decided to go with a new name, they probably altered some of the tonal shaping characteristics as well. But what, exactly, those were, if any, I haven't the slightest clue.

But hey, I could be wrong. That's just what I feel may have happened. In fact, I probably am wrong.

I'll PM Ampeg Insider maybe tomorrow, if he hasn't responded before then. I'm sure this topic will catch his eye and he'll be glad to fill me (and the rest of us) all in.

PS - Thanks for the bump!
  4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    OK, I saw it.....

The SVT-IIP is quite different from the SVP-PRO.

Start with 3 tubes in the IIP vs 5 in the PRO. The mid circuit is "similar" in the two, but there are differences. The IIP is a "simplified" version.

The EQ has different centers in the two, different numbers of adjustable frequencies, etc.

Might be better to ask what's the same.....and it really isn't that much. Yes they will sound different. The SVP-PRO is more like the "re-issue" SVT and SVT-AV pre.

As far as the blackface vs gray, pretty much the same. At some point the balanced out was added/improved. There might have been other minor changes, but I didn't turn up much in looking them over briefly.
  5. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    So the SVP is more of an SVT preamp, while the SVT-IIP is more like the SVT-2PRO?

Well then, SVP for me. I've been living off of a cheap modeling of an SVT for awhile (BP50, I've just recently found use for it as a headphone amp as well as a sub-mediocre distortion unit).

And, hence the enhanced number of tubes, the SVP will give a warmer, "tubier" sound, correct?

Sounds like I need an SVP...

Thanks Ampeg Insider for the reply, and saving me from going, "***? This doesn't sound like that SVP I tried at the store!"
  6. My take is that if you like the sound of the SVP-PRO, then go ahead and get one. I've had a blackface SVP-PRO for several years now. It's a nice contrast to the preamp in my Eden WT-500. With the Drive control, the Ampeg has the ability to get more growly, and really distorted if you like.

The IIP does not have the Drive control.
  7. illidian

Jul 2, 2004

No growl in the SVT-IIP!? Glad I didn't get that.

Now I am thouroughly and completely convinced that the SVT-IIP will not suit my needs, and instead I'll get the SVP.

Thanks for the input 12bass. I have been thoroughly and completely convinced.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I totally agree. My SVP-PRO is in need of some minor repait & I've been using my SVP-2P & all the grown is gone. :(