Tonal differences between Bartolini 9CBJD and 9CBJS pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, May 13, 2018.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I've been looking into these Bartolini pickups. I know I want to get the #3 set, but not sure which version.

Is there any major tonal difference between the dual-coil and the single-coil ones? I'd imagine the JS would be closer to a true J bass pickup and the JD would possibly be fatter?

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Probably that is true. But count on neither sounding like a traditional Fender pickup.

Not the same pickup models, but my comparison of the single and dual coil versions of the equivalent soapbars:

Comparing 3 passive soapbars: EMG, Seymour Duncan & Bartolini

4StringTheorist likes this.
  3. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yeah I'm not expecting it. But I'm not exactly chasing it.

I ended up contacting BestBassGear and they were really helpful. They confirmed my hunch that the 9CBJS would be closer to a clearer, true single coil sound, while the 9CBJD would be a bit more fatter and whatso. After what they told me, I decided I'd go with the 9CBJS Bright set. Sounds like it would give me the best of both worlds, so to speak. The modern scooped clarity and brightness, and the classic growl/grind of a single coil.

And just because I have another J bass, I ended up getting a set of Duncan 1/4 Pounders. I actually dug the clips I heard, and it's on the other spectrum. Modern, but more thick and grindy. Something more in-your-face since this bass will be tuned to drop C.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022