1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tonal differences: Sadowsky UV70 and RV5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scyzoryk, Oct 28, 2013.

1. scyzoryk

scyzoryk

Jan 12, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Hello,

I've searched the forums on this subject already but wondering if anyone else can shed light on the tonal differences between two similar basses, the Sadowsky RV5 and UV70, both in Alder/Morado.

I used to own a UV70 with Nordstrand single coils and I loved the tone. It was beefy and always cut through like most Sadowskys do. However I've heard that the RV5 is actually beefier because of the low-mid push it gives with the 60's pickup placement.

Can anyone who has tried both comment on the tone in the mix, both with fingerstyle and slap?

2. Pretty subtle IMO. I've played quite a few versions of both models. I prefer the smaller bodies of the non UV models, but if you like the feel of a more full size J body, the UV's kill. The Morado boards used in the Metro RV's are closer in tone to me to maple than 'true RW', but that is pretty subtle also (compared to the Maple board UV models).

Pickup position will definitely get you a bit more midrange fatness with the RV, especially in the G and D strings, but again, somewhat subtle IMO and IME.

To me, it would be all about the body size and your feelings about blocks and binding.