tonal options for mim fender jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003

I'm looking into picking up a used fender jazz (mim) and I was just wondering if it has enough tonal options, or if I should just save my money for a used G&L or Lakland skyline? And yes, I already searched. ;)
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The jazz is passive and and obviously this will affect the tone. If you lust after the honk of an active bass you might be disapointed or saving up for a J Retro.
  3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    ok thanks - ill probably just save up for something better, because a j-retro + the jazz will be about the same anyways...
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    dont even waste your time with a mex fender,go get a used japanese fender which is the same amount of cash(give or take a few $$)you will get a much better sounding bass without having to up-grade the pick-ups.they are crafted with a little more consistency compaired to ever fluxuating mex's.which in my opinion says alot about the basses reliability. go play a few yourself then compaire the two against one another and tell me what you think:D
  5. I think the MIM has a lot of tonal options...however, play a few, they are notoriously inconsistant. I have one that i really like. It all depends on what you're looking to get. IMHO, I've been able to get most of the sounds I've been looking for in 4 strings with a passive tone control and tweaking my preamp. If you want to adjust on the fly, active might be the way to go. Most G&L's and Skylines (unless you're looking at their jazz models) are very different tonally than a jazz. If the jazz sound is what you want...then that's the way to go.

BTW, the used prices on MIM and MIJ jazz are fairly different. New MIM v. used MIJ is a more favorable comparison.